• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you think this would work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

custoswashere

Registered
Right now I'm running a lapped SVC Golden Gate HS with a Sunon 80mm 50 CFM fan. I attached the fan using a 1/4 inch plate of plexiglass as a really thin 80-60 MM adapter. I'm getting temps (after letting Artic Silver 3 work on/off for 2 weeks) aroiund 38-40 idle and 44 full load.

My question is this:
Do you think drilling a couple (probably four) 1/4" or less holes through the bottom of the heat sink base would improve the cooling?
My reasoning for this is that I thought the air around the core pretty much just sits there. Building heat and acting almost like an insulator. I mean, without the fan running the chip gets hot, no air circulation. So wouldn't the air get really hot under the heat sink in that gap? I've noticed a few heatsink coming to the market now that kinda address this issue with having the base plate not cover the entire chip and allowing air to circulate throught he fins and down to the area around the core.
Drilling a few holes through the base shouldn't effect the ability of the base plate to pull heat from the core but should allow air circulation below the plate and around the core.
Just asking for everybody's opinion. Maybe this has been done before and I missed the thread.

Thanks

PS. Has anybody thought of modifing one of those AVC Sun Flowers for the Pentium to fit an AMD? They look like some real potential could be reached with a good fan and a small shourd to insure air flows of the fins for a while.

I haven't ever really thought of that. It is a sound idea though. If you have sufficient air flow through your computer I don't think its that big a deal but who knows. It could be worth a try. Let us know how it ends up if you do it...

Back