• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 85 Watt Peltier Kits @ Leufken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoeCrappa

and i quote "Not for Thunderbird cpu's over 1.1 ghz. WORKS FANTASTIC WITH AMD XP cpu's."

Could this be true?

Can I run a 156w pelt w/ a 400w PSU? cause in this site it says that to eun a 156w pelt i need a 350w or greater PSU. i always thought that this was not possible.

and i quote. "156 WATT Peltier, 15.1 VOLT, 50mm x 50mm POTTED. 18.5 amps.

It is suggested you have a 350 watt power supply (or better) in your system to power both peltier and machine."

check out these pelt kits Here and tell me which one i should get if i were to pelt up the system in my sig below. thanks

I do not reccomend anything under 156 watts for an athlon XP CPU. With the 156 you should get some decent results but if you over volt the chip it will probably be to much for the pelt. Do't expect anything close to sub zero temps unless you go with a 220 watt peltier. It is reccomended to get a seperate PSU for your peltier. If you must use something like a 156 you can try an antec 510 watt since it supplies an amazing 30 amps on the 12v line. Most 156 watt peltiers consume 16 amps but at 12-13 volts it will use aproximately 13 amps. The peltier will put a great strain on the power supply so make shure to give it some fresh air. If I were to chose a peltier for your system I would get a 226 watt from Swiftech and a 30+ amp dedicated psu. You can try a 156 with a good ATX psu but you won't get the very low temps like the 226. By the way how many amps does your PSU generate for the 12v line? For referance my Antec 412 is 18 amps.

i was just asking around. now that you've said all that it makes the whole peltier thing a lot more expensive again. i'm trying to look for a cheap solution. oh well i guess that's not gonna happen.

You can alwas find a cheep solution. Check out ebay for a decent psu. If you want to power a 220 watt peltier look for something that can supply atleast 25 amps continuous at 12-16v. For a 24v 172 watt peltier look for atleast 12 amps at 18-24v. You should be able to find something for around $50. By the way newegg.com has the 510 antec for $99 and aquastealth.com has 156 watt peltiers for $25.

There is a guy here who is using an 80 watt pelt on his XP 1600+, and he's actually getting really good results. If you got the 118 Watt pelt on that site, you would easily be able to power it with an enermax 430 Watt PSU or better. You probably wouldn't be able to get subzero temps, but you'd easilly go below well below whatever your at now.

I'd still reccommend getting a 220 Watt, and a separate PSU. IT may be more expensive, but it is way cooler!(in two ways)

muahaha, intel chips rock-well w/ 80watt TECs :D

anyhow..... (became light headed)

i'de definitly listen to bender, i've become fond of his knowledge, and he's a great guy thanks 4 the trade bro! :cool:

oh & of'course darrenct, he's very informative also ;)

but from what i heard, 172Ws were the least to mess w/ when using amds (high mhz) anyhow goodluck!

Inteleron said:
muahaha, intel chips rock-well w/ 80watt TECs :D

anyhow..... (became light headed)

i'de definitly listen to bender, i've become fond of his knowledge, and he's a great guy thanks 4 the trade bro! :cool:

oh & of'course darrenct, he's very informative also ;)

but from what i heard, 172Ws were the least to mess w/ when using amds (high mhz) anyhow goodluck!

If I used a 80 watt TEC on my P4 I would have problems as at default it puts out 75.3+watts and O/ced it would overpower an 80 watt TEC

The .18 micron Williamettes are not like the lower powered .13 micron cpus that are lower in wattage.

Heres a Chart

Well, If your processor puts out 80 watts of heat, and your pelt discipates 80 watts, that will put you at ambient temperature. This is still slightly lower than what you would be getting before.

Of course, there are so many other factors...
1)An 80 Watt pelt pumps 80 watts at 14-18 volts. Your PSU only gives it 12 Volts, so the actual amount transfered will be less than 80 Watts.

2)Heat transfer will not be perfect. heat will be lost at various points in the system, so you will always want to get a slightly larger pelt than needed.

I know the list could go on forever, but those are the real big ones. That's why I always say that it is a good idea to go with a 120 watt pelt. My 1.4 T-Bird doesn't even get close to 120 watts. That would be enough cooling to get any processor below ambient, which is colder than a HSF or standard water cooler can get you. Of course, if you can afford the larger pelts, that's great, and it will get you the sub-zero temps that will bring a smile to any OC'ers face. If you can't afford the big stuff, the 120 Watter will still give you a noticeable difference in temperature.

Isn't it desirable to run a pelt at aprox 80% of it's rated wattage?
I'm running my 156w pelt at 12 volts so I'm really only getting aprox 125 watts correct?

Back