• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q8200 overclock to 2.6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kim34

Hello,

I'm new to overclocking and searched around forums for guides to overclock a q8200. I'm still not succesfull as i am not sure what to change in the bios to get it to run at 2.6 ghz.
My motherboard is a p5ql pro and the processor is a q8200 (2.33 ghz). Can someone explain to me what to change in the bios? From what i know at this moment is that i have to change the voltage and the fsb speed.
Any help would be appreciated.

turn up the fsb to ~370 if it crashes up the vcore by .02 and keep going up by .02 until it stops crashing or you hit the 70c area should be able to do that on stock voltage though

that should be 2.590ghz

run prime95 and watch temps in hwmonitor or coretemp make sure it doesnt go over 70ish if it does you need a new cooler

heres a guide for a bit higher oc if your cooling can handle it

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-pentium,2366-12.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-pentium,2366-13.html

Thanks for the reply.
I changed the fsb to 360 at first and changed the vcore to its max which was 1.5000.
The temperatures went up to 100 degrees on some cores. Average on the 4 cores was about 85 - 90 celcius.
I quickly rebooted and changed it back to normal. The standard core voltage was around 1.500 to 1.600, it fluctuated between these numbers in the bios. Thats why i changed it to something higher but came to the conlcusion it was already at its max.
But when i checked the vcore in speedfan it says it's 1.12v.

Should i try and overclock it again with the settings at 360-370 fsb with a vore voltage of 1.14 - 1.16 or will i perhaps fry it forgood this time?
:chair:

WOH dude try it at default voltage which should be around 1.1v ish try the fsb at 360 and voltage at 1.1 if that fails go to 1.12 then if that fails 1.13

1.5v is pusing into dry ice territory or watercooled benching

Yeah, figured i did something wrong when i saw those temps. I now clocked it to 2,5 ghz and ran the intelburn test succesfully. I put the voltage on 1.12. The max temp measured on a single core was 75 celcius. Should i push it to the limit by cranking it up to 2.7 ghz or you reckon it will be too hot?
the idle temps are: 42,37,46,48.

Thanks for the advice so far

you dont want to go highter than 70c on core2 chips has always been my rule of thumb you need a new cooler 212+ is only 20 bucks right now on newegg free shipping should get you close around 3ghz or more

Ok. I ordered the Cooler Master Cooling Hyper 212 EVO. This one is still in stock and i will get it tomorrow. I'll let you know.

btw my memory bank is OCZ 1066 MHz / PC2-8500 - CL5 - 2.1 V - unbuffered. I've read things about changing the voltage on these. What is the benefit of changing these settings as you only need to change the vcore voltage and fsb to actually overclock the processor?

Hmm i installed the cooler but now my graphics card (9600GT) stutters with every game, even the sound. The temps are around 40 and the GPU is 60 so it's not overheating. Could this have something to do with the power supply? I have a fortron 400w. Never had this problem before..

Ideas?

Back