• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics cards in PCI-E slots 1 and 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danielvdm

Registered
Is this possible to do? I'm running a GTX465 as my dedicated graphics card and I have a spare GTS250 lying around so I figured I might as well use it at a PhsyX card. However, I'd prefer not to put the GTS250 right on top of the GTX465 for obvious cooling reasons. It'd make sense to skip a PCI-E slot and put the 250 in my third slot. I did this and my system doesn't recognize the GTS250. Is this simply impossible due to the motherboard architecture? I'm on an EVGA 132-BL-E758 by the way.

Thanks

That slot might electrically be a x or a x4 slot, and not be providing enough power to the GPU. It should say in your motherboard manual.

Expansion Slots
Two PCI slots
One PCI Express x1 slot
Three PCI Express x8/x16 slots

Seems good to me.

Oh sorry about that. Try switching slots just to test, the motherboard supports 3way sli, no reason it shouldn't recognize a card, imo.

Back