• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Underclocking Rampage 3 Extreme i7 940

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elliott35

Does anyone have a suggestion for a stable system running an under clocked core? I just moved into my dorm and there is no AC so running a hot computer is a pain... I am wondering how far i can under clock and still run games like BF3? I have a Rampage 3, i7 940, 6Gb Corsair dominator 1066 and a Thermaltake Frio. If possible (because im kind of new at this) can you go through the list of things i will have to to in the bios?

Thanks,

Elliott

I dont see a point in doing so honestly. The difference in output from a slightly underclocked system to a stock setting isnt worth the hassle IMO.

Just leave your power saving functions on so when the PC is idle it clocks down and the voltage drops.

Otherwise, if you insist, I would leave the stock clockspeed and just lower the vcore a bit (you will have to test I cant say lower .05 and it will work). Make sure you test for stability like you would when overclocking.

Back