• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old system, upgrading Video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tarl

Registered
Hi all,

I'm looking to stretch out an older system for a while longer. Running an Asus P5-DWH Deluxe with 3.0 ghz cpu. Currently have a Geforce 8800GTS 512mb video card which I'm still able to run games like Call of Duty Black Ops, MW3, Crysis and others.

I was thinking of buying a Geforce GTX560 to keep this system going while I build a new more modern rig.

Any problems with this setup?

Thanks

The only problem I could see is the power supply. What make and model do you have, specifically?

Besides that, it should work fine. The processor might be a bottleneck, depending on what you are running and what settings you are running at.

Last edited:
Running a core2duo @3.1ghz with 500w power supply. I think I will wait and start piecing together the new rig. This system is getting quite long in the tooth and there comes a point where you just gotta push it back to 2nd or 3rd string. :) This one has been a very dependable system and has lasted me longer than ANY other computer I've ever built.

Kudos to Asus and Intel for making the main components. It's been overclocked 1.0+ghz for six (6) years. :)

Thinking of upgrading to: Intel I5 3570k with Asrock Z77 Ext 4 MotherBoard and 8GB Corsair DDR3 Veng PC3-12800 RAM- perhaps I'll get the GTX560 or a 670 to go with that.

You didn't answer my question:
The only problem I could see is the power supply. What make and model do you have, specifically?
"500w" doesn't really mean anything. The reason I ask is that a junk power supply is probably going to have issues running that card, whereas a good power supply won't.

You didn't answer my question:"500w" doesn't really mean anything. The reason I ask is that a junk power supply is probably going to have issues running that card, whereas a good power supply won't.

i think he already has sufficient power, its probably a good power supply if its been working well for him all this time, and i think the card will come with teh necessary cables and adapters his power supply may not have.

anyway TARL, since you mention you are building a new computer, you can get a

Geforce 9800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130534&Tpk=9800

OR

ASUS 560
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121445

and if you want to go AMD Radeon, pick the 7770 GHZ editon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121642

Tarl, can you tell us what power supply you have? It isn't safe to give suggestions unless we know for sure.

TARL, do the following instructions im about to give you.

1. OPEN YOUR CASE

2. look where the power supply is, it is in the back either on top or (nowadays) on the bottom of the case. there should be a sticker on the power supply with its name, model number, and wattage.

3. write or type down the brand and model of the power supply you have and then tell us what it is.

WE CANNOT HELP YOU IF YOU DO NOT GIVE US A POWER SUPPLY MAKE AND MODEL THAT YOU CURRENTLY HAVE RIGHT NOW.

What's your budget for the upgrade? What version of Windows is this system running?

Hi guys, sorry, I was posting from a different location. Now I'm home. I made a mistake on my power supply, it is an Antec Neopower 550. I'm also running Windows 7.

That PSU is pretty fine running a Core 2 Duo and a GTX 560. No problems, go ahead :)

Thanks guys, I was fairly certain it would work....haven't decided if I'll go that route yet, but I am considering it. I need some more GPU horsepower to run a game mod using the CryEngine3 platform. I'm getting a pause here and there with the 8800GTS especially with a lot of action on screen.

I've been out of the video card loop for awhile, is going from an 8800GTS to a GTX560 a significant improvement? Just looking for some acceptable gameplay use as I piece the new rig together.

Forget the GTX 560. It's nothing more than a suoped up GTX 460 1GB. Go for the GTX 660. It's about 40% faster and almost equals a GTX 580 when overclocked!:drool:

that would be 560SE. and although 660ti does sound like a good suggestion, he problably dosent have much money to spend.

so again, go with the 560Ti. if you are picking any other card, avoid the ones that have SE in the title.

Back