• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 Overclocking. Continued as new post!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamerMagnet

ok, so made a new thread since the other one was getting kinda long. Reseated the water block with Caddi Daddi's suggestion on applying TIM. It brought my temps down by 4c and will hopefully get better in the next week.

This is where I'm at. 4.05ghz at 1.275v with LLC set to high. Does LLC increase the temps? It seems when I set it to Regular my temps aren't runing as high.

I stopped using Intel Burn test because it doesn't seem to test it thoroughly. I ran the Intel Burn test at 1.25v with the 4.05ghz clock and I ran it 3 times for 10 passes each, all succesful. With the same BIOS settings I then ran prime95 for the 20 min check but 4 cores dropped within 30 seconds.

Gave the vcore a bump to 1.275v and it never faultered for the 20min check. I'll do a 2 hour P95 check once I hit my heat wall which Im already close and I don't get it. I don't see how I'm going to get a 4.5ghz clock with my temps now.

Here is a SS of a 20 min run. Max temp was 50c but only touched that for a second then dropped to 48c for the rest of the duration.

hvA4q.png

Any thoughts? I'm pretty close to 55c. I'm sure hitting 56-57c would be fine as a max temp though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I am surprised at those temps for the 920 which is not a bad cooler.

LLC doesn't really affect your temps but affects your voltage fluctuations. You might have heard allot of talk about vdoop in some posts especially with gigabyte boards. LLC will help with those voltage drops and keep your voltage more stable.

From here give you multi a bump and see if any workers drop off, if so just give your VCore a slight bump till you can pass a prime run.

just say`n. more v-core helps. i am running a 8150 @4.2 with k920 at 1.33v. aldough i can`t get higher without touching the bus. (if i touch it , temps skyrocket )

yeah, I still don't get why my temps a high.

Rw6Tx.png

I don't get my temps either. I could get to 4ghz with a Hyper TX3 and max temp was 53c. Once I start pushing over 1.3v this thing starts cooking. Not sure whats going on but figured I would get better temps from this K920.

i think you core temp is better calibrated than mine.
i get 64c socket and 46 core.:)

here is what i get:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 169
Not sure if this would be the reason why my temps are high. Doubt it though. My grandmother stays with me and due to her being old and bones hurting I keep my AC set to 80. The other day I put a thermometer in my computer room to for S&G to see how warm the computer made the room compared to other rooms and it can get up to 88f in this room. And yes it's hot in here. During the winter I keep my heat on 70 which I don't get because that temperature doesn't bother her. Oh well

Would the high ambient temps be a reason or is the a small factor?

Ambient temp is not high. i have 7x F in my room so its not that. i recomend reaplying thermal paste. Don`t forget as5 needs to cure. if the pump makes noise you could have an air bubble stuck in the block/pump, from what i hear that can influence temps , turn off the pc put it on its side, turn it on and let it work for 5-10 minutes so the bubbles can go to the top of the rad . it worked for a guy with a 620. hope it helps.

This drives me nutz.

The guy who made one of the better Bulldozer OC guide's used pretty much my same setup.

Same Kuhler 920, same Processor and he used a UD-7 board..I'm using a UD-5. There pretty similar motherboards. He got to 4.5ghz with 1.3v. Bahhh

btw: what way did u mount your 920. I have mine on the rear with the tubes on the bottom. Well, same way in the instructions

I'm using Ceramique2 and I've remounted it 3 times so far. I think I'm gonna go grab some AS5 tomorrow. I don't here any odd noises from the Kuhler.

EDIT: Also, when I mount it I have never seem to be able to snap it in place like the directions stated. I have to have the mounting bracket connected to the water block and then I place it flat on the cpu. Then screw them in with an X fashion. Everytime I put the mounting bracket on first I couldn't push the water block into it because of the plastic ring. So I take the plastic ring out, put the mounting bracket on the water block then push that plastic ring into it.

you really can not compare temps from one board to another, they all differ in how they are calibrated, my two ausus boards temp readings are so far from each other it drives me bonkers.

high room temps result in higher cpu temps, they will rise and fall with each other.

Hhey.Iif you really want to , you can get 5ghz , but you will toast it.
I have a silly question. Did you try starting over from defaults?

ps: go over to my thread on the last page caddi daddi posted his 4.4 specs

Ambient plays a huge role in temps. 1:1 in fact. If your temps are 50c with a 22c ambient , with a 28c ambient your temps will be 56c.

i installed it as they said with the thermal they supplied.

I dunno what`s up with you cpu.maybe manufacturing quality the 8120 and 8150 are basicaly the same only difference is the clock(from what i know).

So would this be right. My load temps at 4.2ghz are 55c with ambient temp of 31c. Once it starts getting cold and the heat will need turned on my house will be 70f/21c. So it should be a load temp of 45c?

I usually keep my thermostat at 70 all year round. Since my grams moved in I bumped it to 80 in the summer cause she wouldn't stop b****n. lol

Yes your high ambient temps would make a huge difference. As your room cools so will your temps EarthDog would know best, take him at his word on how your ambient temp will affect your cpu temp.

From what I understand, the 'very best' silicon is in the 8150 and falls off for the other models of FX. There has been a rumor of sorts that later cpus are able to reach 4.0Ghz with much less voltage and thus a little less temps. This used 8120 I have will not begin to run 4.2Ghz at only 1.3 Vcore. It is an earlier cpu. You have to remember that one piece of silicon can vary tremendously from another.

Most of the time there is a cpu vcore value and it is not so well hidden as it is with the FX series. I found this in AMD's own literature. In the case of the AMD FX-8150BE CPU, the default CPU base clock VID is usually from 1.250V to 1.350V.. That means that AMD can TEST an FX-8150 before selling it and it can pass their testing with any voltage between 1.25V and 1.35V and still be sold as an FX-8150. That is a huge range as you guys know that are fighting heat. One Tenth of a volt Vcore can make a big difference in cpu temps. All those little things add up.

i installed it as they said with the thermal they supplied.

I dunno what`s up with you cpu.maybe manufacturing quality the 8120 and 8150 are basicaly the same only difference is the clock(from what i know).

What does it mean when a core drops and comes up as 0 errors 100 warnings? During this entire OC process I have yet to have a BSOD or Freeze. I can run P95 with voltage at 4.3 1.275v, LLC on Extreme which brings it to 1.29v but I keep getting 1 core dropping and 0 errors 100 warnings.

Would that be a vcore issue or something else?

I only have 1 class tomorrow early in the a.m. so I think I'm gonna turn the AC to 70 while the g-ma is gone. I might take out one of my GPU's, cause its 89f in this computer room right now. Heats this room up like no tomorrow.

+1 rgone.
I had four fx8120's and i could not save a bios profile and swap cpus, i had to test and pick the cpu that did the required job in the best time.
i found the best cpu for my job hated very high clock speeds but at the lower clock speed of 4.2 completed the task faster than one that liked 4.5, go figure....
we can all sit here and spit out numbers to you but it's up to you to try them all out and find what works for your combo.

gamer what case are you using? Lack of airflow along with your ambient temps will def contribute to a hotter cpu.

Back