• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Feeling hesitant to overclock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Opusbuild

Hi all,

Ok, installed my after market CPU cooler and ready to overclock... except I feel hesitant, as I have never overclocked before. :-/

I could really use the extra speed as I run numerical analysis at max CPU load 24/7, so whilst I could do with the extra speed I really need the stability and reliability also. So what to do?

I was just planning on starting with switching the TPU switch on my ASUS mobo for an Autoclock to start with. I understand the that AI Suite software also comes with a Autoboost feature which is supposed to do the same thing as the TPU switch. If this is a good way to start, what would be better? The "physical" TPU switch on the mobo or the "software" button from the BIOS/OS?

Thanks all. I look forward to your input.

Don't let the MB overclock for you. Start educating yourself on how to OC IB CPU's and go from there. There are links all over the internet.

I wondered if the mobo would provide a "safer" overclock to start with.

I have seen and found in my own testing that the motherboard-based overclocks tend to be a bit generous with the vcore. To get a decent overclock on your 3770k, it is dead simple. Just bump up your multiplier by 1 and then test with prime95 (1 hour should be alright but you can go longer to further check your stability). If you find you are unstable (crashes or errors appear), then bump up your vcore by .01v. Continue doing so until you are stable or reach your max safe temps. I would recommend that you have high 80s to low 90s as your max temps (in Celsius of course).

For more information, THIS is an excellent resource. :)

Dont use the auto over clock. It DUMPS voltage to the chip. Im sure you could do a 500Mhz oc with out any or very little need for voltage.
just watch the heat.

There are links all over the internet.

And one right here on our forum: LINK :)

I would avoid auto-overclocking, I have never seen it work well. Also, OC'ing these days has gotten pretty straightforward, at least for a moderate beginner overclock.

Ok you guys and girls have convinced me. Manual over lock it is. Ok, need to read some guides and watch some videos and start learning. At stock my 3770k on my after market cooler remains below 59 deg c even at max CPU load for long periods of time.

80-90 deg c? Would this be a safe temp to run 24/7?

Also I need to ask some specific questions.

1) I often switch HT on an off depending on what I am doing my PC, does this mean I need to overclock again everytime I switch HT on and off?

2) Is there anyway to switch HT on and off in the windows OS?

3) I often access my PC remotely, therefore I guess it would be better to keep my overclocking changes in windows OS using the AI Suite II? Is there any disadvantage to doing it this way rather than directly in the BIOS? I have read reviews and watch videos on it and it seems to the be the same as using the BIOS, only it is quicker to make changes in the OS using AI Suite 2.

Thanks

Last edited:
Whats your idle temp? For air I wouldn't run it about 70° 24/7. Even though those temps are within the thermal spec, most of us here avoid running it that high continuously, especially on air cooling.

1) Are you just switching HT on/off in bios? If so, your process doesn't change.
2) Couldn't say off hand, maybe someone else can chime in. I don't think so since its a CPU feature.
3) I don't have experience with AI Suite, but other windows based OC programs. I think most here would lean towards making changes in BIOS. I can't see any reason remote access would be better with a windows based solution.

Auto overclock worked when I had 2 ram sticks, not anymore though since I have 4 now. Not important since it's much more usefull to do it your self. Up the multi and vcore step by step.
Read the guides because they will tell you what's a max safe voltage for your cpu.
As for temperatures, I believe you should stay below 85°C with those chips, where 75°C is for my cpu a recommended max temp.
Don't take my word for it though, read the guides and google for your mainboard, no doubt it will return some overclocking guides specifically for your board.

ps. why would you want to switch off HT? Is it for lower temps?

Maybe asus suite will let you switch off HT, don't know if it requires a reboot though.
Btw, programs like ai suite change your bios settings. Like you did it yourself in bios, only now the program does it for you.
Therefor you're better off doing it yourself, then you have full control over all settings you manipulate, because such suites can change things you never find back, and maybe some day you have a problem but can't find which setting is responsible.

Last edited:
I can't see any reason remote access would be better with a windows based solution.

Can you change BIOS settings remotely, my experiences with this in the past is that when I restart my PC remotely, I lose the remote connection during the restart phase, so I am not sure how else I can get into the BIOS?

why would you want to switch off HT? Is it for lower temps?

Some initial tests have shown that my analysis runs slower with HT switch on.

Ahh, I see. I do not think you'd be able to change BIOS settings remotely. That said, desktop OC programs typically do not offer the full set of options available in BIOS, you'll have to check with the ASUS utility to see if it allows for HT control.

thankfully CPUs are built pretty rock solid as long as the voltage and temperatures are kept reasonable.

Motherboards have a way higher failure rate, and its on purpose, its called planned obsolescence = "A manufacturing decision by a company to make consumer products in such a way that they become out-of-date or useless within a known time period." All in the quest to maximize profits, its the modern business plan of all corporations that make things.

Does, the overclocking of the i7-3770k also overclock the integrate GPU (HD4000)? and interesting point about the RAM, I can this that overclocking RAM might help reduce my analysis run times too. I often run all 32 GB RAM at 100% so perhaps the extra boost can help here?

It does help, many say it's not significant, but it's easy and free! :p

You can overclock the hd4000 igpu by itself from the bios. If you overclock the cpu it won't affect the igpu at all, unless you touch the bclck frequency (but that's hard and not really worth it, unless you bench doing subzero runs)

Back