• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU accelerated Video encoder.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
As the title says, Im looking for a media encoding tool that is either OpenGL, OpenCL, PhysX, CUDA, or DirectX accelerated. I dont really care which it uses as long as I can offload it to my GPUs. It needs to be capable of handling atleast 1920x1080 footage in MKV, MPEG1/2, and export to AVI, MP4, and MKV.

Hi, you should google and read reviews. Depending on certain scenarios it has been proven that video card accelerated encoding is not apple for apples compared to CPU. It can cause video degradation. I was in the same boat as you not too long ago.

Also I am guessing you do not have a 2nd or 3rd gen i series intel cpu correct? If you did and had a compatible motherboard you would want to use your iGPU over your dGPU.

As for CUDA accelerated software: please read the following article to decide on the software that you may or may not want. http://www.extremetech.com/computing/128681-the-wretched-state-of-gpu-transcoding

If you have an older nvidia GPU you can use badaboom for free. It is not compatible with 600 series cards.

Yes handbrake does cuda. But again cuda is does not encode too well. Is it fast, yes is it as good of video quality as cpu encoding? NO so if you have time to let it run overnight you really should.

Unless you are doing hundreds of hours of video.

Xilisoft and Arcsoft are easier to use. Espresso is garbage.

There's a beta that uses OpenCL but I cant find a download for it. Mostly I am looking to experiment with some different stuff just to compare. All of this footage is going to be transcoded again when it is streamed to my PS3, Xbox 360, or android tablet anyway so I dont think a small bit of quality loss is going to kill me. Also handbrake chokes when you have to deinterlace something. I supplement that by running multiple instances of HB and work on more than one file at a time, but that takes alot more effort to maintain.

Ill check out that article later, and look xilsoft and arcsoft and see if either look pique my interest.

There's a beta that uses OpenCL but I cant find a download for it. Mostly I am looking to experiment with some different stuff just to compare. All of this footage is going to be transcoded again when it is streamed to my PS3, Xbox 360, or android tablet anyway so I dont think a small bit of quality loss is going to kill me. Also handbrake chokes when you have to deinterlace something. I supplement that by running multiple instances of HB and work on more than one file at a time, but that takes alot more effort to maintain.

Ill check out that article later, and look xilsoft and arcsoft and see if either look pique my interest.

There are programs that can encode multiple files at once. I believe xilisoft does. That is what I use but I have not used it for a while and there where 2 programs I was using. Pretty sure xilisoft ran more than one video at a time and could cue up as many videos as you would prefer.

Back