• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW! Free Total-Systems After Effects Benchmarking Suite - AfterBenchCC - Test y

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kidfrombrooklyn

Registered
Available for download at http://www.teddygage.com/AfterBenchCC/

will work on mac and pc, you need the latest AE updates to run I believe.

I put a ton of work into this and think you folks will find this handy. It has already been useful around the studio for profiling system strengths and deficiencies. Especially if any of you work in video post-production

Here is a sample video of all the files that your machine will render in a run of the 60 MB AfterBenchCC project

It's not really recommended for systems older than 2 years, it may take a long time to run, especially with older GPUs. However it is broken into several 3-5 minute tests, so you can pick and choose which test you want to run without demanding too much time or resources. I highly recommend the fractal noise CPU test to get a clear idea of system performance in a single run.

A little background:

It will generate about 6 GB of video files on your system. Everything here is procedural, no video files or prerendered assets are needed, it is created from scratch on your machine.

This benchmark tests total systems RAM, CPU, and GPU performance in After Effects Creative Cloud 12.2.1, simulating typical rigorous production demands with 4k footage output, intensive render-heavy effects and encoding. Make sure your system is able to handle 100% load on GPU & CPU - I am not liable for any system crashes, loss of work or mechanical failures as a result of this test.

It is recommended that, if you have any GPU released prior to the Nvidia GTX 480, you disable the "Raytrace & Environment Map" benchmark test in the render queue, as render times may exceed 1 hour and beyond. This may also be true for many modern mobile GPUs, or GPUs with less than 1 GB VRAM. This does not mean your computer is slow, it simply means your GPU is not able to run the highly specialized AfterEffects CUDA raytrace engine with reasonable speed.

Make sure you have latest GPU drivers AE CC version and Quicktime codecs installed. There is an optional Element 3D benchmark left unchecked, if you have Element 1.6 installed, you should check the render tickbox. Element 3D is a great plugin that works extremely fast with many common OpenGL GPUs. However, it will not affect the benchmark if you do not have Element 3D installed, simply hit cancel.

You will have to select all render items and output the project to its own folder on your fastest drive. You may need to click each item in the render queue and output each render item to the chosen render folder individually.

INSTRUCTIONS:

STEP 1: Purge RAM and disk cache (disk optional)
STEP 2: Confirm output paths to fastest drive available
STEP 3: Confirm roughly 6 GB HDD space available
STEP 4: Confirm system airflow is good and CPU / GPU are stable under load
STEP 5: Confirm MP is ON, at least 2 GB allocated per CPU

STEP 6: Recommend you render each item separately - cannot guarantee full run in sequence. May need to purge RAM between each render to avoid memory warnings. If render crashes, simply delete render files and re-add that comp to render queue.

STEP 7: Make sure your VRAM is set to maximum usable in GPU settings and your GPU is recognized with the latest CUDA drivers, if running the GPU Envmap Test

STEP 8: RENDER

I recommend having PC system resource monitor running and open to watch CPU / RAM usage.

Other good apps include TechPowerUp GPU-Z, Real Temp GT for live systems monitoring. On Mac I would use Activity Monitor or Menu Meters

Here are my current results, the rest of our machines will be added soon.

"IRONMAN"
4.7 GHz hex core CPU, 64 GB RAM, 720 GB SSD RAID1, hyperthreading off

MP OFF: 2:28
4K KEYFRAME: 3:12
4K ENCODING H264: 0:26
Fractal Noise 4K all CPU: 3:55
4K Encoding MP4: 0:18
RT & EnvMap GPU: 5:12
Cineware: 8:51
Element 3D: 5:02

"The flash"
4.3 GHZ quad cpu, 4770k, 16gb ram, 2x gtx 580, hyperthreading on

MP OFF: 2:22
4K KEYFRAME: 3:25
4K ENCODING H264: 0:36
Fractal Noise 4K all CPU: 7:11
4K Encoding MP4: 0:22
RT & EnvMap GPU: 4:15
Cineware: 8:42
Element 3D: na

"JACKAL"
Late 2013 Macbook pro
2.6 GHZ boost up to 3.8 GHz, quad core cpu, 16gb ram, gtx 720m, 1 TB on board SSD, hyperthreading on

MP OFF: 2:34
4K KEYFRAME: 3:36
4K ENCODING H264: 0:35
Fractal Noise 4K all CPU: 7:01
4K Encoding MP4: 0:25
RT & EnvMap GPU: 43:23
Cineware: 9:13
Element 3D: na

Some really interesting numbers here, I'm going to create a spreadsheet with some nice graphs and have a link on my site. Thanks for checking it out!

TO SUBMIT YOUR SCORES FOR OFFICIAL VERIFICATION:

Increment and save the file after render.
Delete all compositions and outputs, and save AE project again, with your name appended to the file name.
Email file to [email protected] for verification, along with system specs:
CPU / GPU model, OS, & RAM

So, this only works if you have After Effects? How long does this take to run on your system?

I recognize this, its used to benchmark After Effects on different PCs.
I've seen tests showing CUDA performance done with this process before.

Time is VERY dependent upon the system, something like your 4930K would blast through it, but a dual core Athlon would take a while.

So does one have to have AE to run this as well? If so, that really lops off a ton of users that would do it...

This just screams SPAM to me though... I can't help it.

Yeah, you need AE, but I think it'll run on the trial also.

Sorry, not spam, just a personal project.

Yes, you do have to have the most current version of after effects to run this.

Back