• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Asus P8Z77-v & 3770k - Can't increase CPU ratio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duvey

Hey guys

Just got a new board, CPU and RAM about a week ago. Happily got it humming at 4.5ghz. This morning I restarted my PC to install some updates, and it wouldn't reboot. After a few failed reboots it gave me the old 'overclocking failed' message.

Dropped out extra sticks of RAM, and set everything back to stock, and it booted up and ran fine.

I jumped back into bios to have a look at re-overclocking, and all of a sudden it won't let me push my CPU ratio over the 'base' value of 35, even with turbo mode enabled.

The 'Turbo Ratio' and 'Internal PLL Overvoltage' settings are not showing in BIOS either, which were before, and from what I can tell these should be showing with a 3770K installed.

It's as if its acting as though it doesn't have a K series CPU in it, and is locking me out of the multi and other options.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the latest one, with no success, plus CMOS resets, and swapped around memory etc. I'm a bit stumped, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshots of bios:
<--- note the lack of turbo ratio and internal pll overvoltage options
<--- won't allow me to change ratio here
<--- main page
<--- cpu configuration

Thanks heaps
duvey

This is the second thread of this happening I have seen today, what bios is the board running?

Try pulling the CPU and re-installing (with motherboard battery installed) since the motherboard will recognize it's been removed and re-mount the CPU configuration in bios. Hopefully it will then recognize it's the K version under the ai tweaker page.

I used EZFlash to flash to the most recent BIOS - that is 1606. This didn't actually make anything worse - I was just hoping it would fix the problem. I'm going to try reinstalling the cpu now, thanks for your help.

Just reinstalled the CPU. I got the 'new CPU installed' message, but no change in BIOS. :<

your Bios chip is corrupted I think. It happened to me with a z77 Asrock MoBo 4 month ago. This issue happens on both Asus and Asrock mobo'.

I am pretty sure that your Ram Freq is limited to 1333MHz as well.

If it is the case, ask Asus for a bios chip replacement, or grab one on eBay...

EDIT: and the IGPU should not be recognised in the Bios anymore...

Last edited:
It seems to be limited to 1600mhz. And yes, just noticed iGPU is also completely non-functional and unrecognized.

That makes sense. I'll see if i can get my hands on a new BIOS chip, then update with results here.

Thanks for everyone's help.

D

You can order a new chip on ebay for around $10.

It will certainly be quicker than going through all the Asus RMA process... :bang head

Took everything back to my local PC place's service department. The parts are only a week old, so everything was covered by their warranty.

First we reflashed BIOS with AMI, no change. Then we replaced the bios chip from a brand new board. This fixed the problem with CPU ratio, and all the missing parameters in BIOS came back. However, the memory was now limited at 1333mhz.

Ended up replacing the board with a new one. Although the source of the problem seemed to have been a bad bios chip, there was clearly another fault in the board, perhaps which had caused the bios chip's corruption in the first place.

All back up and running now anyway. Thanks for everyone's help, it was vital in narrowing down the source of the problem.

Back