• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP i5 2500k OC temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kelushka

Registered
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for you input on the matter. My question to you is about my temps after a 8 hour Prime95 test. I went 8 hours to start my testing to find a stable setting. I'm overclocked at 100x44 at 1.280v with PLL off and all other settings to auto. I passed 8 hours of P95 with 0 errors and no BSOD. My question and biggest worry is my temps. I am using HWmonitor and CPUZ for readings and my temps seem a bit high compared to what im seeing across many forums. I use a aftermarket Zalman CPU fan. The voltages seem to be around where others have theirs, and i know no 2 chips are alike, but mine just seems to be running hot even with the aftermarket cooler. I dont really wanna go for liquid cooled either. What do you think could be causing this? Crappy cpu fan, or re apply thermal paste? i know i need to tinker a bit with my vcore but just need some direction from the pros.

My system specs are as followed:

2vcuvsg.png
[/IMG]

What case do you have your system in and what is the airflow like? Also, what model Zalman cooler are you using? Temps seem higher than what I would be comfortable at, even though gaming never yields temps as high as prime... but there are some sensor temps over 100c which would be a big concern to me...

Looks like your OC is solid, but you need to work on cooling, maybe add some case fan depending on your answer...

Can we have some details please I.E. Case, how many fans etc room temps thanks? Would say to download Real Temp GT 3.70 and look at temps on start up from cold and then run Prime for 30 mins to see your top temps on real temps it will record min plus max temps on your CPU.

Last edited:
One of my concerns is that i know when i put the fan on i had some troubles getting it seated right at first so I could have to re apply thermal paste but seeing what steps if any i can try before that step.

Can we have some details please I.E. Case, how many fans etc room temps thanks?

my case and fans are listed above. there are 4 case fans and a cpu fan all at their highest manual setting with dials and my room temp is around 70F

Is there any way you could add a second fan to your cooler i looked at ? next try the download i said also check temps with your door off to see if any difference. Its then you have to decide what you want to do next?

And Ajay the pic in the first post does show min/max temp. min is before the test, and max is its highest it reached during the test

going to run a half-hour P95 test with case side off to see if that could make a difference. now sure if i can add another fan or not. will look into it or a new fan all together.

*will post result

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply REAL TEMPS GT 3.70 is what we all use here to monitor temps on CPU'S as well as the program you are using. It gives a broader idea of your core temps while testing and some may say it's more accurate as well. best of luck please come back to us here.

Kelushaka: That looks great to me temps ok up to 80c, but i would not go any higher than that,looks stable and fine on prime95. What do you think are you happy with it as well? It is about the same as mine here, been working on my cpu volts as well down to 1.352v from 1.360v stable buddy.

Last edited:
I have been tinkering with my vcore and have it down to a lower 1.255v now and has been running P95 for about 7 hours and stable. My temps have dropped a good *5c on each core. :)

I am hoping that I can maintain stability for 16+hrs and maybe bump my multiplier to 45 and test again. No real ambition on higher than 4.5... just yet. But if my temps are at a average of below 80 under load, then I can find myself pretty curious to see the limits my CPU can achieve.

Same here my temps are around the low 70c @ 4.5ghz and like you i feel no need to push any higher right now. For internet browsing etc it fast enough for me, more than that you have to think how long do you want your CPU to last as well? Of all the reading on here so far no one has said by OCing or pushing your CPU like this how long will it last or does it shorten the life of the CPU overall? Great job well done catch you later regards.

Back