• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about AMD and XMP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Do XMP timings apply to AMD CPUs? I know XMP was developed by Intel.

AMD has their own form of XMP called AMP (AMD Memory Profile). You should be able to use XMP timings as long as the IMC can handle it since the RAM can handle it.

I've never seen that show up in CPU-z. Is this dedicated AMD memory you're talking about?

AMP is exactly like XMP, just the AMD version. AMP settings are tested to work on AMD systems with AMP support and AMP profiles can be selected in the BIOS.

I've never used AMD hardware so I don't have personal experience with it, but that's what it is and how it is supposed to work.

Yeah I googled AMD Memory Profile and found that ECS and ASRock already have some boards out that will give the AMP option in bios.

I haven't seen AMP memory yet ( or it's not clearly described ) but all XMP profiles were working fine on 990FX boards ( GB and ASUS ). I also made some SPD/XMP profiles for my memory and I had no problems to use them at least on ASUS CHV that I used for tests.
New AMD boards are AMP compatible but I don't think it will change anything as it was with earlier memory profiles for AMD ( black series etc ).

Actually most memory that I was testing were overclocking better on AMD/990FX than on Intel/Z77 so I don't think that any profiles will make problems.

Back