• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me set up Bench HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

How do i make it let me chose which OS to boot into, on the same HDD
Note no VM i using for benching

does Vista have something which to let me chose which to boot?
or do i have to install a program?

and i am thinking of getting an External Enclosure for it
i was thinking this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153163&name=External-Enclosures
or this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042&name=External-Enclosures

note i will use it for ESata so dont care about slow USB 2

I would partition the harddrive in however many sections you want, in windows disk manager.

install a different version of windows to each section.

then use Easybcd to make your boot menu how you want it. you can stay in windows 7, just plug the e-sata benching drive in and use easybcd to edit it

i want to only run 1 OS at a time
other wise is will affect my benchs

will work or if you install in the order that the operating systems were released it will use windows own boot manager

Don't think you are understanding

When you install any operating system, it installs a boot loader at the beginning of the harddrive that tells the computer where to find the operating system.

If you have more than one operating system, the bootloader will have more than one choice.

There are many ways to manipulate the bootloader but the easiest one is either the one I posted or the one Janus posted.

It has nothing to do with a VM or running more than one OS at a time. You are simply editing the bootloader.

ah ok
i will install Vista 1st then XP maybe use that program

and out of those 2 Enclosure which is better for the price?

If you install xp first then vista, it will bring up the option to choose which os to load on boot up :thup:

Back