• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Boot from USB (looping)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skelt

I don't have a DVD drive, so I used Microsoft's utility that allowed me to make a bootable USB flash drive from the ISO of my os. Everything was working fine until I attempted the install.

I formatted my drive, started the install.

-Completes Copying Windows Files
-Completes Expanding Windows Files
-Completes Installing features
-Completes Installing updates
-Completes Completing installation

Restarts, and goes through all the above again ^^ So I appear to be stuck in a loop. Any help would be very much appreciated. Kind of between a rock and a hard place because this is my main system and I have various Projects I must work on this weekend, and since I formatted the drive I can't even revert to my old install of Vista-32. (!helllp)

-I have tried swapping the boot drive back to the drive I am attempting to install windows to, however there is no MBR there due to the format.

Thanks for your responses in Advance.

-Skelt

Edit: I called Microsoft and because my purchase of windows was right when Windows 7 came out, they won't help me at all unless I pay them $99... absolutely terrible.

Last edited:
Ok, as it would appear, when the system reboots, you must change the boot priority back, to the drive your installing windows on. Drive 1- Drive Windows is on. Drive 2-USB. Boot priority: Drive 1 >DVD >What ever else you want.

I did this once, (or thought I had, when it said there was no master boot record). In any case it appears to be working correctly right now. See what a little bit of head to keyboard action can do!?

Actually the correct procedure is to simply unplug it in between the auto-boot sequences. Once booted, plug it back in. If it says it must reboot, unplug it. simple

Sweet, hopefully this thread will come in handy for a future forum user. This was the first time booting from anything other than a hard drive / CD / DVD.

I used the usb method with my current install for the first time myself just recently. Makes sense though because if you put the flash as the first device the os drive will always be the second in the boot order.

Back