• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

920 D0 temp too high? (wc)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maharsi

Hi guys,

It seems my old account was deleted or smth, but i was on Ocforum a while ago... back for my p4!

I'm on 920 D0 now and trying to get my cpu to 4Ghz stable.
I wonder about my temp... I'm on watercooled 2x120 thin rad + 3x140 thick rad. My block is ek supremacy. I have an 7970 Ghzed in the loop but it stays at 40C full load... :D
My 920 seem to get pretty high in full load for a watercooled setup...

Vcore : 1.3516
Idle : 40C
full load (prime95) : 72C
motherboard : 40C
room temp: 22-23C

What you guys think? i was hoping to stay in mid 60C with that system, of course my fans aren't running full speed, and i dont want them to..anyways the air flow is enough for the rads. i have a fan to get a slow but good airflow in the case... I tried many many (...many...) times to reinstall the cpu block, this is mostly the best result i can get... i used different technic to put the thermal paste ; pea spot seems to have best result so far...

thx for comment/advises!

Are you sure you need to supply that much Vcore for only a 4.0GHz clock on a D0 chip? On average D0 stepping 920's only require in the neighborhood of 1.25 - 1.30V or lower for that clock.

Hi guys,

It seems my old account was deleted or smth, but i was on Ocforum a while ago... back for my p4!

I'm on 920 D0 now and trying to get my cpu to 4Ghz stable.
I wonder about my temp... I'm on watercooled 2x120 thin rad + 3x140 thick rad. My block is ek supremacy. I have an 7970 Ghzed in the loop but it stays at 40C full load... :D
My 920 seem to get pretty high in full load for a watercooled setup...

Vcore : 1.3516
Idle : 40C
full load (prime95) : 72C
motherboard : 40C
room temp: 22-23C

What you guys think? i was hoping to stay in mid 60C with that system, of course my fans aren't running full speed, and i dont want them to..anyways the air flow is enough for the rads. i have a fan to get a slow but good airflow in the case... I tried many many (...many...) times to reinstall the cpu block, this is mostly the best result i can get... i used different technic to put the thermal paste ; pea spot seems to have best result so far...

thx for comment/advises!

I don't think 72 is dangerous, but it is definitly warmer than I would want my cores at. (My 3930 peaks at 67ish, but I had to add some higher flow fans and enjoy a low ambient temp of around 20-21*c)

I really think your voltage is the problem (And yes, pea method is just about always the best TIM application method). Do you have any LLC options? If you do, turn them on. Very high / Extreme then try lowering your vCore one tick (Or more). My big ol fat 3930 can run lower than 1.350 at 4.0ghz, yours definitly should be able to, also.

Hi again,

... sry all.. i was high or smth yesterday... my Vcore is 1.3125 wich is mainly the lowest i can go for stability. Its my qpi/uncore that is around 1.3516... how high i can accept a variation of temp between idle and load in watercooled setup? i was expected ~20C delta in this kind of setup..
Ill look at the LLC option and see what it does to my stability. i did not play with those options yet. Before going futher i wonder mostly is my temp are normal for my cpu/wc setup..

Thx for help!

72 is high for WC. I had a 920 @ 4.0ghz under an apoge GTZ block and my temp never broke the ~65°c under LinX with a 3x120mm rad. Its all about your room temp too but your GPU seems to stay lower.

Maybe you have too much paste on the bloc or its not properly mounted ?

There is an old screenshot of my 4ghz OC with room and water temps
LinX_4ghz_1600_10pass.jpg

hey boulard83,
those temps are good! i was hoping for this kind of result also... what is the RPM of your fans? Also, i see you have only 4 core, so HT disabled... which means ~3-4C lower than HT enabled like mine.
The supremacy from EK as a bow-tech, that means it arc underneath, then more thermal paste. I also think it's too much paste...My first attempt, the razor technic, result in a perfectly clean block surface after unmounting, which means no contact to cpu at all....I then tried many times with "pea spot technic" trying to minimize the TIM.
I'm talking to Ek's support about this problem... they asked me to check if its the good jetplate inside the block.. -.- need to get the water out from that section to do this..
about the jetplate : http://www.specialtechforums.co.uk/showthread.php?2920-EK-Supremacy

anyone having a supremacy block? this question could be more wc section tho. I will retry applying TIM with in mind trying to put only enough thermal paste to cover the actual dimension of the cpu... not the IHS

thx for any tips!

Hi again all!

I'm happy to tell you that i solved my temp problem! :bday::beer:

My jetplate moved when i check if it was the right one... It hang on its seal so i must have tilt the block while i was reassemble it.. then the jetplate move.. well i guess. anyways now its at the right position and my temp are much better!

With Vcore at 1,312V i'm getting temps around ~65-67 full load (66C max if i turn my fan at 100%) and my cores doesn't go over 63C! (core 0) I'm idling at 38-41c and cores are at 34-38C max
Room temp of 23-24C

thx for you help and reference point. Now i can try to get stable for long time then try to go 4,2Ghz!

Later!

Last edited:
Back