• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8...$39...upgrage dilema

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi,
Every win OS ive had has cost me over $100 for the standard version (win 98, xp, win 7), Windows pro usually pushed the $200 mark .
I see that win8 PRO is going for $69 in stores and $39 online. ive never seen a pro version of a win OS for so cheap....it also says "Limited time". I am wondering, should I be jumping on this deal before the cost goes up to $100+?? I dont NEED to upgrade as I like win7 a lot....but I am wondering if this will be a future proof purchase and also save me some money...or is win8 just another Win vista/Win ME and I should ignore the hype and cheap price.

The $39.00 Deal for Win8 Pro is here

The Program by STARDOCK to give Win8 a start menu and boot to the desktop instead of METRO IS HERE The program is $4.99

Last edited:
Its win7 with a crappy interface, which fortunately you can bypass. I haven't seen anything worth upgrading for, even for $39. In fact, the cheap price probably tells you something about the value of upgrading a desktop.

For $39 it is probably worth downloading and burning the ISO to a DVD and saving. That's pretty cheap to have a spare , legit , Windows OS. If at some point you get a new computer you can spend the $200 the OS didn't cost on stuff that matters.

For $39 it is probably worth downloading and burning the ISO to a DVD and saving. That's pretty cheap to have a spare , legit , Windows OS. If at some point you get a new computer you can spend the $200 the OS didn't cost on stuff that matters.

Thats kinda what I was thinking of doing. Id like to have it as a back up or maybe dual boot. My current concerns over Win8 are: how well does it work w/ dual monitors? and can I permanently ditch that metro interface and boot straight to desktop? Windows 8 may mature into a very nice OS. Ive been w/ Windows since win98 and every release there are gripes...people do not always like change and some are justifiably afraid of another WinME or Vista.

For what its worth i would say at this point stay with Win 7 and leave Win 8 for at least 9 months or more! Why to let them sort out the bugs and problems, bearing in mind that its more designed for Tablets and Cellphones? PC desktops are just a after thought, because Desktop PC's are moving towards a niche small market share after all! AJ.

1,http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/page2.html

The post above will give you a idea what the Difference is?

I've been playing with the windows 8 interface now for about a month at work on my test pc. It definitely is not as bad as people make you believe, just different.

With that said I wouldn't upgrade from 7for it, xp yes though.

Yes correct JANUS, but is not more designed for touch screens than PC'S? would you agree to a certain extent that's why i said, Tablets and cellphones because that is where the growth market is at the moment? AJ.

absolutely agreed that tablets/cellphones are the way to go for Windows 8.

If you get it for PC then I recommend getting used to hitting the Windows key instead of searching for the start menu shortcut/button in the bottom left corner.

how well does it work w/ dual monitors?

The RTM worked better than W7 with dual monitors for me. I got a toolbar on each monitor instead of just the designated desktop.

and can I permanently ditch that metro interface and boot straight to desktop?

Yes. Several third party solutions to that problem. I used this one http://www.totalidea.com/8startbutton/ (free version) and it worked as advertised.

Now , having defended Windows 8 , in the interest of full disclosure , I went back to W7. I will probably take my own advice and get it while it's cheap , and take advantage of the short time Media Center for 8 is free. I have no desire to use it now , but an extra $150-$200 towards say , a 2700K , would be money well spent , IMO. :)

If windows 9 doesn't have a start button or a more IT feel to it, ill just stop buying windows

I think $39 plus tax for a legitimate copy of Windows 8 Pro is a very good deal! Plus, they have an offer right now where you can get a free copy of the Windows Media Player add-on pack. I bought one of these upgrades for my laptop hooked up as a HTPC. I personally prefer the Metro UI on a 56" TV compared to 7's taskbar and start menu.

Last edited:
I think valve pushing so hard into linux means we don't have to worry about windows 9.

But I think that's still possibly wishful thinking.

Stardock has a PROGRAM to give Win8 an start menu and it also boots into the desktop instead of Metro. This is making win 8 a bit more appealing especially as the program is only $4.99 and the OS $39.99.

Oh..I did not link the online deal for Win8...its HERE for $39.99 and apparently good till Jan 31. In one review I read they had Win8 pro listed for $149.00, that is likely the cost for Win8 pro after the online deal.

Decided to go for it because this is the first time ever that Windows has come below my reservation price for buying an OS for personal use.

I guess it depends on how well-versed you are with computers....and perhaps how old you are :D. I deal with so many different interfaces that only changes for the worse can bother me. As in I don't mind if you move the front door of my house, just don't put it on the roof.

Shutdown being the odd change here. But it's easily outweighed by working nicely with my 3 screens, and I must admit to liking the start menu, except for when I clicked the news feed and Bing attacked me.

If you can learn to use the Windows key I don't see why it's all that different from 7.

It's Windows 7 conservatively mashed up with an Android phone I suppose.

Edit: Also Task Manager is much more useful, no more need to run msconfig to change startup programs.

my 2 cents....I usually wait for the first SP to come out before I jump ...but this time I dove right in and was not disappointed. It takes a little getting use to but I find it's ...well fun! Also it's stupid fast in loading up and shutting down...like 6 seconds to shut down and 10/12 seconds to boot to the desk top/tiles.I did have a bit of trouble with the tiles working and had to do a system refresh. After that all is well.You still have a desktop like 7.Navigating is wicked easy and all tiles have a ton of "links" associated with them which makes surfing quite enjoyable/different.I don't regret it one bit.:thup:It also works very well with dual monitors

well i just tried the windows 8 upgrade !!! epic fail doesnt work with overclocked cpu so back to windows 7 lucky for me it rolled back fine apart from killing my outlook all ok :) phew
pitty microsoft didnt talk to intel about their unlocked multiplier cpus dont work at all didnt even get to metro and from what i have looked at on other forums good job it didnt work most have BSOD as soon as you run a game looks like win7 for me for a while longer

Will an upgrade work for a bare install? I can't find my darn 7 disc and this would be a great compromise if it does. Once I m enrolled in my masters program I can get Win7 for like $10.

Back