• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC results from the FX 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barrtabb

Hi everyone,

I used this forum for tips on OCing, so I figured I should post my results to pass on what I found with this new processor. Here are the spec for the PC.

AMD FX-6300 OC to 4.4Ghz @ 1.4 volts
CPU Cooler - CoolerMaster TPC 812 w/ Arctic Silver thermal paste
MoBo - M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970
RAM - G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
PSU - Rosewill CAPSTONE-750
Case - COUGAR Evolution Black
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 480

I went 2 hours stable on Prime95 and reached a max core temp of 62 C, no errors, no throttling.
This Rig was built for my friend, and seeing how we have similar parts (GPU, RAM, MoBo) and just a different CPU, I figured why not check the FPS difference on some games the 2 of us play.

Here are some FPS differences I saw on games. (this is a quick take on the FPS results, not intended to be the one true answer, more like a quick take on real world results)
**My CPU- FX-8120 @ stock**

PlanetSide 2 - about 15-20 FPS increase (this game is really CPU heavy)
The War Z - No noticable difference on Max FPS, but about 6 more on the low side (not sure why)

In game play, the CPU temp sat around 30-35 C (depending on game).

Let me know if any of you have questions, or would like more details.

Good to see you got a lot more out of PS2.

I just wanted to add a little correction here.

PS2 is currently using DX9 and that means it can only use 1 processor core to feed the GPU. It's not really processor heavy.

Long story short I posted on their forums about my Phenom II X6 getting the same performance at the crown with 3 cores and almost the same at 2 cores and they pm'd me the DX9 explanation.

Edit: By the way got any Cinebench R11.5 single/multi core scores?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Hicksimus. You're right about PS2 being "cpu heavy" and the DX9 deal. What I meant by it being cpu heavy is that my friends and I (with different AMD processors) all suffered from CPU choke and thus our GPUs were running at like 50-60% capacity. Sorry for mis-information there.

I didn't get any Cinebench R11.5 single/multi core scores. UPS showed up earlier than expected, so it's on it's way to Chicago. I can ask my friend to get some scores after he get's everything set up, it'll take like a week or so b/c I'm cheap and shipped 4-day ground :p

Back