• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me find the perfect executive laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Absolute requirements:
* Must be fully Windows 8 compatible with a full set of drivers available
* Must have a smart card reader.
* Must be ultra lightweight. 11.6" preferred. 13.3" maximum

Requirement I really should squeeze in:
* touch screen
* Some kind of docking station that will work worth a damn
* 1080p display

Things I fully expect to see:
* at least a 256GB SATA3 SSD
* at least 8GB RAM
* at leat a dual core ivybridge based I7 processor

I currently have a ~$5000 sony viao (VPCZ22 series) that is ridiculously compact with a high resolution screen but I can't freaking use it because Sony doesn't know how to make Windows 8 drivers and it has no smart card reader. I contacted someone at lenovo and they said their x230t line of laptops meet my need closest, but it won't support Windows 8 and has a low resolution screen.

Anyone know of a better source? Dell has one in the works soon but it may not be out until next year.

With SSDs as cheap as they are, I would recommend not making an SSD a requirement in order to give yourself a wider selection, and then if you find a laptop that lacks an SSD but otherwise meets your requirements, you can just buy an SSD seperately. You can even buy a cheap case for the hd you swap out and use it as portable storage.

Same with ram... how much does 8 gb ram cost these days, $35? If a laptop only comes with 4 gb ram it's no biggie to add more.

Yeah, there's a lot of decent stuff coming out on the horizon, but the market is pretty limited now.

The unfortunate thing is that Dell's business line tablet, which will be the only one with a smartcard reader and docking station, is going to be atom based. I'll probably get one to try when it comes out, but it kinda stinks that there won't be any high performance options.

Back