• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me kill Ubuntu once and for all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
My SSDs are messing with me. I'm an Ubuntu noob. The system has been working fine manually set to load through the Windows bootloader in the UEFI bios for at least a year now since I blew away Ubuntu on my secondary SSD.

I tinkered with my new motherboard today in Windows and everything was fine. I rebooted, moved around the SSDs in their M.2 slots and now it just goes to the Grub screen. I moved all the SSDs back to their original positons with no joy.

All I want is Windows back. Halp!

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpeg
    IMG_1105.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 47
What board is this on? I know you've been messing with a couple.. the Z390 Master, right?

Is only one M.2 slot bootable on there for some reason (your manual should tell you)? That's the only think I can think of outside of doing basic 1:1 testing (removing linux M.2 out of booting location, put Windows drive back in the same socket).

If you don't need the Linux install, format the drive. Your bios MAY have a function to do that.

I can boot off of any M.2 slot. I just don't see the Windows bootloader on my primary M.2 for some reason now.

I wouldn't mind doing a full wipe of two of the M.2s and starting over fresh with Win10. It would be the only way to be completely rid myself of Ubuntu ghosts, but I want to get my desktop files off the two drives first.

Thinking I might try to do a Windows repair mode first and get it to boot normally again. Then back up my stuff and wipe them all clean.

You can use a live USB to grab your files if you want to do the fresh install thing. Windows repair should work as well. EasyBCD (IIRC) will let you sort your boot order, but grub should let you choose which OS to boot, even Windows. Since you are nuking Ubuntu anyway the windows repair might be your best shot, but https://askubuntu.com/questions/883...w-to-get-ubuntu-back-after-installing-windows will give some pointers to fixing grub and getting it to see WIndows. When your reinstall grub, it will run a scan for all OS partitions and auto-magically add an entry in grub

I finally found out the easy way to get around Grub: Type exit. Windows booted immediately after.....sigh.

Backed up my stuff, and wiped both drives. Now sitting on a fresh install of Win10Pro again. Much happy. Never hurts to do a clean install once in a while.

Back