• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to use the SS USB 3.0 ports on your case without SS USB 3.0 on your MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

10XTriplet

Disabled
I ran into a problem when I bought a mobo without the optional SS (SuperSpeed) USB3.0 connector. I found it a pain in the butt to put my thumb drives in the back of the PC rather than using the front ports, and since the case manufactures don't include the converters, I'd thought I would share what I did to be able to use those USB 3.0 ports on my case.

Parts needed

1. Gino 6.3" Blue USB 3
2. 2 Port USB Motherboard Header Adapter
3. Glue gun

Attachments

• Gigabyte-SS-USB3.jpg
    Gigabyte-SS-USB3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 742
  • SS-USB3.jpg
    SS-USB3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
Its really very simple job. I hot glued the two connections because I did not what it to wiggle free if I ever opened up the case at a later date.

It will be at USB 2.0 speeds, but who really cares? I got my front ports back!

Attachments

• HEADER-USB2.jpg
    HEADER-USB2.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 634
  • USB3.jpg
    USB3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 786
  • HOT-GLUE.jpg
    HOT-GLUE.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 619
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 715
Interesting...workaround for not having the right case (USB3 AND 2 ports), or mobo with the header, thanks!

EDIT: Also, wouldnt another option be, that is cheaper AND retains your USB3 functionality, is to use 2 USB3 ports on the back with that wire, plumb it through the water cooling holes on most cases in to your case and use the front USB3 as USB3? Seems like a lot less effort and cash and you retain the USB3 speeds too. ;)

Interesting...workaround for not having the right case (USB3 AND 2 ports), or mobo with the header) thanks!

EDIT: Also, wouldnt another option, that is cheaper AND retains your USB3 functionality, is to use 2 USB3 ports on the back with that wire, plumb it through the water cooling holes on most cases in to your case and use the front USB3 as USB3?

I'm using those 3.0 ports on the back, and besides it will look messy and ugly... I bought the correct case, its what I wanted. I did not foresee Cooler Master not including converter cables to use it with ANY mobo.. :thup:

I'm surprised that works. Pretty awesome though!
Way to think outside the box :D

I'm surprised that works. Pretty awesome though!
Way to think outside the box :D

Thank you sir! This is a Terminal Server running Windows 2008 Enterprise 32bit with 8gig of RAM. Did not want to accidentally pull out the plug when I remove my thumb drive... :D

I'm using those 3.0 ports on the back, and besides it will look messy and ugly... I bought the correct case, its what I wanted. I did not foresee Cooler Master not including converter cables to use it with ANY mobo.. :thup:
Gotcha, you are already using 2 USB3 devices in the back... kk (otherwise its the same thing as far as looks to me, still a wire running through case). :thup:

Excellent thinking man! :)

Lol, it happens. At least you have working front panel USB now :D

There are also PCIe x1 to internal USB3.0 add-on cards in case you wanted USB3.0 speeds. They are anywhere between $18-34.

Back