• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 6100 OC need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djjmatexxe

Registered
Hi!

I just got my new CPU cooler, so I decided to OC my CPU. As I have an ASUS board, with the ASUS AI Suite II software, and didn't hear any bad about it, I used the built-in overclocking feature. Now my CPU runs at:

250,8 x 17 (4250 MHz)
VCore 1.33750
CPU/NB voltage: 1.18750
DRAM Voltage: 1.65
Temp under load: 47 celsius

Originally the software made it 250 x 16.5 @ 1,33125, but I mustered all my courage and increased it and the multiplier too, and it seems stable (IBT for an hour + games for a day).

But now I dont really dare to go further as I really don't have any experience doing this. Should I increase the Vcore and the multiplier a bit more? I want to reach at least 4500, but i think the fx series has more in it.

MY rig:
ASUS M5A97 PRO,
FX 6100, AC Freezer A30,
MSi R6850 @ 900/1200,
Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 Mhz,
Bitfenix Shinobi Window with 2 built-in fans and 3 AC F12 TC fans,
LCPOWER 5550 550W

Help me plz.

Last edited:
djjmatexxe, welcome to the forums.

please go to the cpuz website and downlod these two programs, cpuid and hardware monitor.

please download prime95 from a clean website, I would use the home of prime95 because someone else here just downloaded a copy from a site and got nastys with it.

these will help us help you.

reboot into bios and reset to default settings.
boot into windows.
open three copys of cpuid, select, processor tab, memory tab and spd tab.
open hardware monitor, expand to show all voltages and "core temps" or "package temp"
spread these over the desk top.
open prime95 and select the "blend option" and allow to test for 30 minutes.
take a screenshot and post it here.
this gives us our baseline and our first building block.

thats good.
go into bios, turn off all the green stuff, core boost, c1e, svm and such, raise the multiplier by .5 to 18.5.
rerun p95 for 30 minutes again.
we want to watch package temp, this is processor temp.
we want to watch cpu temp, this is the socket or vrm section temp.
our limits will be 55c on the package temp. package temp can spike as high as 62c without damage but we will avoid that.
we can see your "cpu temp" is out of sync with your "package temp" these we like to keep within 10c of each other.
when you installed the cpu cooler that took the airflow away from the socket area.
can you mount a fan on the case side to get more airflow back into this area.

So with default settings, just increase the multi to 18.5, and do the test again?
Should I turn of turbo boost and cool 'n' quiet too?
Well, I could buy another fan, ofc, but that will be next week. Or should I reinstall one of the front fans?

yes turn that stuff off.
raise the multiplier to 18.5.
reinsall the fan, airflow is our friend, heat is our enemy.

I link people to the guides also, they get you used to the terms we use and also help you catch our mistakes that might damage your rig,

Yeah thats true, but after a while, when u start OCing urself, its not really enough. Asking a pro to help kinda assures that u kill ur system permanently with what ur doing. :)
Btw how should i proceed?

we still have room on the temps so raise the multiplier to 19 and retest.
the system is not crashing and you have no workers dropping out in prime95 so we don't need to touch voltage.

not yet, but we will get there, we are focusing on just the processor right now.
I am no "old pro" at this but I know enough to help with the basics.
I hope the "old pros" are looking over my shoulder and will chime in quickly if I give you a bum steer.

Last edited:
and we want to see the fan sections in hardware monitor so we know that the fans that report are working.

Well, I didnt get that last post b4 starting the test, so its not there now. I wont close anything in HWM next time.

33uq521.jpg

So, onwards to 19.5?

yes, again to 19.5 30 minutes.
seems a little boring, over and over again?
but it pays in the longer term.

Back