• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serial to usb for anicent laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M33Cat

I have a perfectly working compaq contura 430C, it has 8 MEGA Bytes of RAM:facepalm:

And it runs win95 all right it seems, it has 800MB free on a 1.25GB HDD, but doesn't have a CD drive, only floppy's.

The only thing I'm keeping it for is to put some .pdf files on there for reading, assuming win95 can even run some version of adobe reader I could dig up.

Question is, if I got a $5 usb to serial cable, can I directly transfer files that way?

It also has PCMCIA 2.1 card, I take it that work with the right cable.

Or I could get a ata ide laptop HDD to desktop ide cable and transfer the files that way

What would be the easiest/cheapest of all that?

pcmcia to ethernet adapter perhaps? or wifi adapter? i know i had one for my old 700mhz laptop though that one is a "bit" older D:

If your desktop has a serial port you can set up a network connection via serial. You could in the past anyway, I did.

no I don't so I guess if I want I will spend $5 and get a pcmcia to usb cable

Well you have a few options. Hook the USB side of that cable to your desktop and you should be able to do something with it, it won't be quick or easy. I think a $5 PCMCIA NIC would be more feasible. Once installed, it's a simple matter of browsing to a share on your desktop containing whatever you wanted to put on the laptop.

Back