• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Cerberus Project [Pre-Build Log]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MX5J6

So here is the deal. I could either use AMD and VM's which is something I wanted to start doing or not use a VM and just go Nvidia for gaming. Why not just go AMD in the first place, well I okay tons of Skyrim and I will be playing in 1440p, I will more than likely need two GPUs to get really nice frame rates and AMD doesn't play well with Skyrim. I will be playing other games as well but Skyrim is a big one for me.

Then I remembered talking to someone who had successfully used both cards in the same system by way of a pre-bios and a hard switch. He could use either to turn pci-e lanes on and off thus enabling or disabling his 680's or 7970's.

I want to do basically the same thing, minus the hard switch until I am comfortable with a soldering iron. So this will be my everyday use PC, HTPC, high end gaming rig, possibly my benching system and used for virtual machines. My budget for the base system is about $3400-$3500. This is around $3300. That is including a single GPU, the system, case and all the fans. I will obtain the other GPUS at a later time.

One more option is to possibly wait until the next series of both GPUs are released and then start my build. I don't have a GPU I can transfer so if I build it now I will be without a GPU or I will have to lose money reselling a last gen card.

Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA
MoBo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
RAM: Corsair DOMINATOR GT 16GB (4 x 4GB) 2133
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
GPU Solution 1: 1-2x EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 Classified 4GB
GPU Solution 2: 1-2x MSI AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 250GB
HDD: Seagate Baracudda 3TB 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
ODD: LG DVD Burner OEM

Fans for the H100i will be replaced with Cooljag 2400RPM fans and the side panel will be filled with Akasa Apache Super Silent fans.

Credit to bluezero5 for the idea and advice.

The GPU choices are not yet 100%, though the MSI is pretty cheap so that will probably stay, just don't know if I will need more than one yet. As for the Nvidia solution I am not sure I need something like the classified, maybe I'll go with something like the SC Sig2. I really like its dual fans.

...My pc and internet went berzerk and posted tons of threads. =[

Drop the PSU to a 750W, you're never going to draw more than that with two GPUs.

You also don't need a RIVE, you can get away with a MUCH cheaper board.

The high speed RAM also isn't going to really change performance much. I'd drop back to 1600.

I have an AMD card and Skyrim played fine for me. Two 7970s or 680s should be MORE than enough for 2560x1440.

You might want to look up how the benching point system works. 1 high end computer = one submission for each benchmark and then you're done. Many of the benchers also prefer not to bench their daily computer, you don't want to risk killing the hardware that you use every day. The best way to get into it is to find a really nice LGA775 board and keep grabbing, benching, and selling used 775 CPUs, focusing on the 2D marks.

$1000 cheaper, not including the fans. Same performance. No need to add extra to the case, and switching the ones out on the H100 is more for a reduction in noise than a performance gain.

Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 12.08.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 12.08.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 12.08.55 PM.png

Last edited:
bah, i'd go with around 900w of psu power personally. i'd also go with z77 extreme6 board and i7 3770k; instead of sandy E. video card is fine, i think the high end AMD draw more power and make more heat than the gtx680; though gtx680 is useless unless you voltage mod the bios imho. up to u.

7970 TDP is ~250w. GTX680 TDP is ~200w. Neither way do you need more than a 750w PSU, unless you're doing some serious business OCing with the 7970s.

The Rampage / Maximus series boards are aimed at two groups:
1) Benchers using dry ice or liquid nitrogen cooling.
2) People with too much money.

I'd get something (much) cheaper that will give you the same performance.
If you're just gaming, I'd go Ivy Bridge. SB-E isn't a gaming platform IMO.

@Bob: but i think the power usage for the AMD GPU jumps a lot with OC, opposed to power draw with an OC'd gtx680?

PS: how do i truly check the actual power draw of the card under load? if precision X says i'm at 80% of tdp is it simple .8 * 200w? so if i'm almost maxed out OC on gtx680 @ 1293core/7182mem 1.212v and only drawing 160w.. isn't that great?.

Pretty much, yeah.

AMD cards you can add voltage, that cranks the wattage up much faster than just adding clocks.

AFAIK the 7970 has a +20% limiter in AMD Overdrive. Not sure if some cards can circumvent that, but that puts the MAX you can get the card to draw at 300W.

If you overclock both cards to the MAX along with the CPU, you might need a 850W.

OK good news and not bad news but news news. Got a new car this morning. =D that's the good news, however with tax and license in California that will hinder my PC budget. Though a new car was really needed. So I am thinking of just scrapping this big budget build and going with something cheaper and simpler. No VM's, just a single set of GPUs, mainly for gaming, web surfing and maybe some HTPC use.

Case: Was thinking maybe the HAF XB or something else a little different. Most cases bore me. Not sure how many expansion slots are really needed if 7 is enough or if 8+ is better.
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 (This should work well enough and if I go with a triple slot card maybe it should have the proper spacing)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 (suggest better ram?)
CPU: I heard newer games like Crysis 3 will take advantage of hyper threading so should I go with something like the 3770K?
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i or Noctua NH-D14, depends on the case.
GPU: I always have trouble with this, was looking at some triple slot cards or something like the 680 SC Sig2 or 680 Classified?
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 250GB (Don't know if I should keep this?)
HDD: Seagate Baracudda 3TB 7200RPM (One big drive or 2-3 smaller drives for different things?)
PSU: Corsair TX750 (Will I need 850w if I OC or will this be enough?)
ODD: LG DVD Burner OEM

I do not sadly, if I did it'd make things so much easier. And I don't want to go above say $2300-$2500. I think that's reasonable.

It was just an experimental idea about using AMD for VM's and such and Nvidia for gaming but with a new car finances are a little tighter so I can't really afford to spend $3000+ on a PC. Not now anyway, and a really need a new rig. I'd rather have it as soon as possible vs waiting months and months and months.

You do know that the budgets you're posing are pretty ridiculously high, right? Like $1200 single GPU systems can pretty much max out current games, that's the typical system.

Hell, I just posted a $2400 system above that did all your workstation needs and whatnot (not including CA tax).

Last edited:
What about games like Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light and BioShock Infinite? Will I be able to max those out at 1440p with a single GPU? I guess I'm thinking too hard and thinking these games need ridiculously high end systems to run. I am probably wrong though. So if you can help me out together something for under $1800 max that'd be pretty awesome. I just want something that will last me a few years playing on ultra/very high at 1440-1600p.

I also saw what you posted which is really nice but I think I am straying too far away from my basic needs with stuff I just want to experiment with. I'm not sure that's really the way to go. I just have issues with money. Haha I'd go into detail but its a personal matter and this probably isn't the place.

That's the thing. Computer tech moves so fast that trying to future-proof is nigh impossible. The only way to keep playing at high/ultra-high is to keep upgrading.

Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 4.51.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 4.51.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 4.52.15 PM.png

This is true, I only have a couple gripes with the bud. I honestly hate phantoms. Lol they are just so ugly to me, but not a big deal at all, I can always change that. The other is the PSU only has 6 pin connectors and the 7970 needs 6 and 8. Idk how I feel about back g to use my miles plugs for my GPU, just sounds messy, again though not a big deal at all. The basics are all there, so thanks. =]

I know this is probably a dumb question, but are 7 expansion slots enough for two triple slot GPU's? With a board like the ASRock Extreme3? The slot spacing on the E3 seems perfect, I just don't know if 7 slots would be enough or if I'd need more. For example in the Haf XB.

It's not the number, it's whether they line up.

Why are you so stuck on triple slot, that's something you want to avoid if you want to go multiple cards. There are plenty of good coolers that are dual slot. And the dual slots cards are going to work BETTER when in multiple card configurations because the triple slots cards will be right up against each other and the top one will be choked for air. Dual slot cards will have a slot in between for breathing room.

Back