• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.5 LPM or 1.5 GPM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
I can't remember where I heard this (could possibly be somewhere in the stickies) but in general I heard 1.5 LPM or 1.5 GPM is a good number for your loop no matter what size it is. Is this correct and which one would it be?

Reason why I'am asking is because I finally got my system together after a long drainfull 2 1/2 weeks.

Atm I'am just testing it out and folding on CPU+GPU, at full load on both and flow is 1.5 LPM or 0.4 GPM with only 33c average water temp with an ambient temp of 21c and pumps are around 20-30% PWM. CPU temps is 55c and GPU 42c. Best is the new PSU is at 92% efficiency and its fan is at 0% and basically never utilized even during gaming let alone folding.

I'am amazed with what I have going on but wanted to see if I can tweak it out a bit and still bring down whatever temps I can.

more is better but at those temps i dont think it would be worth the extra noise, you have more than enough headway how they are now :)

I thought we had an article on here that talked about\showed the difference between pumps that push more water and ones that push less and showed that there really wasn't a difference.

I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: BOOM found it!

Last edited:
OK = Oklahoma? If yes than whats going on over there? lol

I will bring up my pumps to 1.5 GPM but its 2 MCP-35x and they both are noisy once they hit those markers. It basically hits 1.5 GPM at 53% PWM and gets capped at 1.6 GPM from than on to 100% PWM which is odd and would think I would get alot more from it OR the new koolance flow meter is just capped at 1.6 GPM.

I live in OKC for a few years as an old teenager.

Anyhoo, it's not about GPM, it's about temps. I run my 35x at 20% idle and 50% max. Don't worry about the magic 1.5, worry about temps. All will be fine.

Your running a flow reducing GPM monitor?

I don't call that an upgrade, that is added complexity. More whistles and bling. IMHO.

:rofl: Actually its more bling and doesn't whistle as it used too. (2x gtx 480s sounds like a airline jet taking off in your own room and global warming in full effect)

What would you call this project? An upgrade or an update?

I want to create my first build log for the first time as I took pictures. I pretty much started from scratch. Took everything out and cleaned etc.

Edit: Scratch the idea of creating a build log but I will create an "update" of my existing rig and post the changes. I think that sums it all.

Last edited:
Lower temps, very low noise with alot of monitoring. Increased ram and boot up process (SSD Cache) and alot of visuals .... Nvidia surround and Bling of course AND the 2 1/2 week brief process of putting it back together.

I'am having a beer atm and still can't understand what neat box I bought you speak of. loool I guess once I hit the local bar for the party tonight and am hungover tomorrow I will better understand. :p

Edit: Still thinking......lol.....are you refering to the tower with the goods in it? If yes, still using the same 800D/CPU/MB/HDs. Hopefully that might clear it all up.

Last edited:
Oh lol Well to see what my flow is and another added feature to also know if one of my pumps go out etc.

I will note, cosmetically it has that techy look in front to the rig which I like.

I live in OKC for a few years as an old teenager.

Anyhoo, it's not about GPM, it's about temps. I run my 35x at 20% idle and 50% max. Don't worry about the magic 1.5, worry about temps. All will be fine.

Your running a flow reducing GPM monitor?

ah :D you okies... sigh :rofl:

jk jk ::)

Back