• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Task Manager and overclocked hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AeroBuff

Registered
Hey all,
I'm just tinkering around on my new Windows 8 and SSD setup (love it btw). I've finally returned my CPU and memory to their overclocked states, and am wondering around Task Manager's ability to recognize those speeds. CPU-Z recognizes the speed for my CPU as 3.29 GHz but Task Manager says my maximum speed is 2.8 GHz. One thing to note is that while it says that max speed it also shows the current speed and utilization of, say, 2.8 GHz at 56% utilization.

In other words, is CPU-Z the most accurate here, and Task Manager just doesn't update the maximum speed from stock?

Thanks

Task manager in win7 and earlier (actually windows in 7 and earlier) isn't capable of noticing multiplier changes, and often won't notice bus speed changes either.
I doubt win8 is any different. CPUz is much more trustworthy.

task manager shows the cpu speed? or u guys mean its showing "100%" when its really running like 80%? sorry for thread crapping i was just lost lol.

task manager shows the cpu speed? or u guys mean its showing "100%" when its really running like 80%? sorry for thread crapping i was just lost lol.
This is what he's referring to...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,061
Last edited:
8 physical CPUs and 160 logical CPUs? That's a bit above Intels average HT.

its pro HT :p

guessing 8 of those processors would do it

http://ark.intel.com/products/53578...E7-2870-30M-Cache-2_40-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

8 cpu mobo? o.o the cpu's are only like 4g's chump change for microsoft to test win8 on lol. each 10 core 20 threads lol

actually if some one wants a badass folding rig.... http://compare.ebay.com/like/261105922365?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y only 200 bucks 10 core 20 thread 130w 2.8ghz turbo

quad server board is 1900 lol damn

edit, i think the cpu's i listed can only be on dual boards? idk i hate server stuff they make it so hard to match stuff up lol

Last edited:
Back