• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Converting a psu to external use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chug

Case is too small to fit even an sfx psu in and everything I want, so it will be going outside of the case.

First thing is to extend the modular wires, what would be the best way to do this? Cut/Solder?

Secondly I'll just be using some extensions in the box, but I'm struggling to think of a way to mount the female end to a hole on the end of the case? Can't help but feel any sort of crudeness ie araldite etc would only break in the end and probably melt the plastic of the ends.

Needs to be done for all the cables. Anyone got any wise ideas?

Do you have wire of the same guage as the PSU cables? Solder + flux + heat? Crimping tools? Sleeving? If so, you've got a nice project to look forward to. To answer directly, yes, you can cut and solder.

Got the tools.

Is soldering the best way of achieving the above though? Or would taking the pins out and re-crimping be a better idea?

Still have to come up with a genius idea to mount the female plug end to the case's chassis.

Back