• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VG278HE first impressions.....grrrrr >:(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAHALLEN

Many people (it seems to me) are longing for 3D 1080p60 in a size larger than 27"....but up until now, 27" is as big as it gets. I'm quite frustrated with the wait, and I cannot understand why manufactures have allowed this gap. I wish Acer or Optima, or Mitzubishi, or NEC would get off their collective butts and give us a 3D Vision certified 1080p projector with a DVI connection. There is no technical reason they could not do it. The only reason I've seen speculated by other enthusiasts is that the demand isn't big enough. But I call BS.....I see so many people asking about larger 3D 1080p display options....I've seen so many complaining that they didn't know their 1080p "3DTV Play" display was limited to 720p with 3DTV Play. I've been running an Acer H5360 (720p) on a 100" screen for the past year, and I love it.....but the pixels are HUGE!!! I really would like a higher resolution. :evil: I was really hoping we'd finally have the answer to are prayers announced at CES, but it just hasn't happened :(

But enough of my rant....I've finally caved, and I've just taken delivery of three Asus VG278HE monitors. They are the latest and greatest 27" 3D Vision monitors with Lightboost technology. My only previous experience with a 3D LCD monitor was with a Planar SA2311W (still considered one of the best 3D Vision monitors), I found the crosstalk to be unbearable. I really appreciate a clean image, and despite this providing one of the best, it wasn't good enough. But it was first generation technology, and I could understand that.

So in January 2012, I bough the Acer projector mentioned above. It uses DLP technology and crosstalk or "ghosting" was non-existant. I loved it, and I fell in love with 3D. The downside as I ranted above, it was limited to 720p.

So back to my new VG278HE monitors, a much newer design than the old Planar monitor, boasting this new "Lightboost" technology.....should be amazing right? Wrong!!! The ghosting is still way too distracting. I cannot seem to dial it out as some have suggested. I'm quite frustrated at this point...either I just used them in 2D mode, or I sell them off and get two more H5360 projectors for 3D Vision surround with proper 3D (at a lower resolution).

Ah who knows, I'll play with them a bit more and report back if I can find any settings I'm happy with :roll:

Last edited:
Not mad, just a bit frustrated....but I'm not giving up yet, I've had a few suggestions for things to try, and I'll keep trying. If nothing else, the 2D performance of these monitors is fabulous! :)

What does the Dell monitor have to do with it? :confused:

Not mad, just a bit frustrated....but I'm not giving up yet, I've had a few suggestions for things to try, and I'll keep trying. If nothing else, the 2D performance of these monitors is fabulous! :)

What does the Dell monitor have to do with it? :confused:

Just thought you want a better monitor so i show you the top of the line monitor that i ever got to play with for a few day :D

I have a Samsung 30" that I've been using for the past couple years, very similar to the Dell....I love it! :thup:

Well, CallsignVega suggested contrast @ 52 and Lightboost at 10% in a dark room. It's actually working out OK. Is there still crosstalk? Yes....but I am training myself to ignore it little by little. :rolleyes:

Increasing the light boost setting should decrease the backlight pulse duration per frame, and should decrease crosstalk, right? Have you tried higher light boost settings? I know it does decrease the apparent brightness, but I would think you should see a difference in crosstalk from the 10% setting you have it on now.

I've never seen this monitor in person, just remembering things from reviews I have read.

Increasing the Lightboost setting makes the crosstalk worse....that's why I lowered it to 10%

Back