• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suddenly sata raid mode no longer works

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

last night when i restarted my computer, an error message "a disk read error has occured press ctrl alt delete" showed up on my screen. i thought my hard drive failed but after changing the sata mode from RAID to AHCI i was able to boot.

but i dont have my intel SRT anymore. i want it back.

i tried reinstalling drivers, changing iastorv to 0, msahci to 0 and pciide to 0 still bringing me no succes

i dont know what else to do. i really want SRT back. and i have to leave raid enabled so that it can work. any suggestions?

Intel RST should be on ASrock's website for your system's drivers. If not, you can go here to have Intel
check for necessary drivers including RST.

You might need to flash your BIOS if there is a new version available. I'm not sure what would cause RAID
to stop working though so if this doesn't work for you, hopefully someone will be able to offer more options.

i updated intel RST (from both asrock and then intel and still dosent work), i had intel auto update run, i flashed my bios to latest, and i even ran a disk check.

i am only able to boot into AHCI. if i try IDE or RAID it will show

"A disk error has occured press ctrl alt delete"

What RAID level were you running before the failure?
Have you tried booting to your OS install disk and running the repair option with BIOS set to RAID?
Can you get to the RAID configuration screen with BIOS set to RAID?

EDIT: How many drives are in your array (SSD's, HDD's) and what size is the array?

Last edited:
What RAID level were you running before the failure?
Have you tried booting to your OS install disk and running the repair option with BIOS set to RAID?
Can you get to the RAID configuration screen with BIOS set to RAID?

EDIT: How many drives are in your array (SSD's, HDD's) and what size is the array?

but i dont have my intel SRT anymore. i want it back.

i was running one hard drive and one ssd. the Seagate drive was being accelerated by the SSD.

If your OS is on the HDD and you're using the SSD as a cache then you don't need to run RAID. FYI: RAID is a subset of AHCI.
I'd configure AHCI and boot to Windows, attempt to install RST, if that fails, boot to the Windows disk and try a repair.

EDIT: There is a check box on the install for Intel RST to install the control panel as well as the driver.

Last edited:
If your OS is on the HDD and you're using the SSD as a cache then you don't need to run RAID. FYI: RAID is a subset of AHCI.
I'd configure AHCI and boot to Windows, attempt to install RST, if that fails, boot to the Windows disk and try a repair.

EDIT: There is a check box on the install for Intel RST to install the control panel as well as the driver.

Taken from this article here

------------------------------------------
Fortunately, it's easy to install and enable Intel's Smart Response Technology on a system that contains a single solid-state drive and a single hard-disk drive. First, connect both drives to the Intel-powered SATA ports in your system; then fire it up, enter the system BIOS, and configure the SATA controller to RAID mode. Restart the system and install Windows on the hard drive, ignoring the SSD for now. When the Windows installation is complete, install the drivers necessary for your system's components, including the chipset drivers and the Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers; you can download both at the Intel Download Center.

---------------------------------------------

Heres another source (taken from motherboard manual here)

"Complete initial system setup, including installing the OS to a RAID mode system, then install
all required drivers, including RST storage driver version 10.5 or later"

i was able to get this to work after installing windows. i used some program to do it but i cant remember the name of it...it tweaked the registry for you to get it to work with raid mode so you could run intel srt....

by the way i would like to know how you got it working without setting the sata mode to raid. i dont want to reinstall windows to the SSD and then run my games off the hdd. i like the idea of intel SRT way better than that.

sorry to sound very mean by the way. i dont know how else to respond when you said that i didnt need to set the sata controller to raid for intel srt to work.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry abut that, I misunderstood. I thought you were speaking about Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST), my mistake.
I'll do a bit more reading and get back to you with what I come across, hopefully a fix.

Intel SRT is part of Intel RST so it does need to be run in RAID.

So I'm kinda at a loss as to why/how you're not able to run in RAID now all of a sudden.
It could have to do with which SATA ports you have the drives connected to. I believe the
SSD and the HDD have to be connected to the Intel SATA controller not the Marvell controller.
I haven't had the pleasure of running a Z77 board yet so this is just speculation but I remember
reading something about that.
I know You've already tried editing the registry but have a look at this and maybe there's something
that wasn't done.

Back