• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding SATA ports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lupus42

Registered
Ok, I have a question about adding SATA ports to your motherboard.

I'm in the process of planning out a new rig for myself after the new year. The motherboard I want to use only has 6 SATA ports. I need 7 but would like to add at least 4 more SATA ports. I really want these to support RAID. I'd like to use 1 port for my OS 1TB SSD, 1 port for my DVD/CD burner, 4 ports in a RAID 5 with 4 1TB HDD's, and 4 ports in RAID 0 with 4 250GB HDD's.

Any suggestions?

Yes... why the need for such a complicated setup?

If required, get a motherboard with 8 ports... though you will be hard-pressed to have two different RAID arrays on the same controller I believe (never tried, I am guessing).

And, do you need 10 ports? 1+1+4+4?

Re: RAID card. I don't know how common this is, but I have an LSI card that will not pass TRIM commands. I'm guessing/hoping that newer cards do not have this limitation, but it could be a concern if you ever want to put an SSD on that card.

Of course, that begs the question if TRIM is really needed. I did some benchmarks on a RAID0 of 4 EVO 850s after a *lot* of disk I/O w/out TRIM, after recreating the RAID following secure erase of the drives and again after sufficient activity to write all blocks and following TRIM. I was surprised that performance was only slightly better following erase or batch TRIM operations. This is on Linux and using the ZFS filesystem which features copy on write. It's worst case for writing all over the drive and there is zero possibility that the drive firmware understands the filesystem (and can reset blocks on its own.) Others here have claimed that TRIM is not that important and I want to disagree with that, but remain unable to find evidence of that.

Back