• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant run DDR 3 2400 at full speed...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Plasmoid_Man

Registered
Hi I've got a new build with a
Ivy Bridge i5-3470
MSI Z77A-GD55 Mobo
Gskill RipJaws DDR 3 2400 (2x4gig)

Computer won't post if I set Memory to 2400. I have tried manufacturer timings and voltages for these sticks and still no go. 10-12-12-31 1.65V. However, I did get them to post at 1800mhz at this speed. I have also tried the XMP profiles 1 and 2, neither worked.

I have updated Bios for Mobo.

Is this the processor that will not allow the memory to go faster?

If I set an overclock, will this increase the memory too?

Am I missing something?

Please help, would love to get memory running as fast as it can before I start working on the CPU.

The IMC (memory controller) is in the CPU... and not all CPUs can get up to that speed, most should though.

Have you tried bumping up the VccSA voltage .1 or so?

Try bumping the DRAM voltage to as high as 1.70V if needed, and / or the CPU I/O voltage to no more than 1.08V (1.05V is the default).

Ok, so I've made some progress... I did bump up the CPU I/O voltage and the DRAM, but I was only able to hit 2000 mhz. Am I missing something? Why is this combination of hardware unable to achieve 2400mhz? The CPU should be able to handle it right? I know the Mobo can... Is this a multiplier issue?

In CPU Z it says it's running at 1:10 FSB : DRAM

Do you have option to enable internal PLL ? If yes then enable it.
Set memory to 2400 10-12-12-31 , command rate 2N, vdimm 1.67V, VCCSA and VCCIO to 1.1V. Disable XMP. Set tRFC to something high like 250+.
Also disable power saving options for the time of tests ( C1/3/6, EIST etc ).
Maybe try 11-12-12 or 11-13-13 timings to check if it's booting like that.
At the end check if in slots 1/3 and 2/4 is exactly the same. Sometimes other slots make a difference.

you can try the opposite memory slots, that may help. have seen boards that flat just dont like part of the slots.

Back