• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

turn off your PC when you go to sleep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Turning the system on and off places more stress on the components, but I'd wager that it will be outdated far faster than you'd kill it. I wouldn't worry about it.

I always do. I treat my computer like a household pet, or somethin =P

Like Thideras said, it's like trying to save electricity by leaving your lights on all of the time.

The start up power usage is high (on incandescents, anyways) but negligible.

I definitely leave mine on (and folding) during the winter so I can direct the heat into my bedroom.

I would but im not the one paying for electricity and that's disrespectful...

Hopefully if yall are around in ~10 years when I have my own place... Hehe

My main rig is off while not in use. It run ~2-3 hours a day, more if im OFF and game alot :)

HTPC is running 24/7. The thing pump ~50w idling so it wont really change my electricity bill.

My NAS and Desktop are on most of the day at college, off except when I'm using them at home. Both are off at night (both are in my bedroom/dormroom, lots of flashy lights and buzzy fans to keep me awake.) My HTPC is only on when I'm using it, even though with an E-450 and an SSD it probably draws as much power at idle as my monitors/TV draw in standby.

Like thideras said, that initial surge probably places more strain on it, but I've had things switching on/off for years and aside from replacing the occasional fan, which is bound to happen occasionally, they've been fine.

I'm folding on all of my machines currently so they are all on. When I'm not folding I put all but my htpc to sleep.

I shut mine off when not in use. Only because in my current place it is very dusty and my rig gets dirty too fast.

I used to let it run all the time.

When I am not using my desktop PC, I just put it in sleep mode. It's nice to just be able to wake it and it's ready to go in a couple of seconds and it uses minimal power. Now my server is always on 24/7 so I do have that as a resource which not everyone has to offload a lot of services.

Back