• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer/Electronics ghosts, do you have them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Yes, this thread is for computers and electronics plagued by ghosts, spirits, Chupacabra, entities... or whatever else you believe may be lurking in your circuitry.

Recently my main rig would occasionally not wake up from sleep state. then it stopped happening. Just out of the blue. Now, my side rig which is my YouTube, video, Linux experiment rig is refusing to wake up.

Going to burn some sage soon.

Computer/Electronics ghosts, do you have them?

Not right at the moment, all hardware in current use is relatively new, the old, possessed electronics have gone to the e-waste afterlife.

Linux experiment rig is refusing to wake up.
My B560M AORUS Pro doesn't wake up, but perhaps I really need to check BIOS settings. My other Linux rigs do wake OK, with mouse or keyboard input.

Going to burn some sage soon.
Sage... riiiight. :p

No gremlins, currently. :)

EDIT: I lied......... the issue where my monitor blips when I get up from the desk still happens. Less frequently now, but still happens.

Last edited:
My "Lightroom" PC was hexed by a Win7 demon from the time I got it until I upgraded to Win10. I think the previous hardware (P4EE, AA8XE) had issues too. I think the Win7 install disk had some sort of problem, all sorts of errors. Been running great ever since I did a clean install to upgrade to Win10.

I had a Sony receiver that would suddenly lose sync of a digital signal and deafen you with a hauntingly loud screechy hiss, it would do it totally at random on a variety of devices that would output to it. its gone now.

on the other side of things
I have a Vaio PCG-C1X and a Mavica (dont remember model) that are fully functional and refuse to die, the batteries still charge and hold that charge after 24 years

i guess some where in time the sony plant fell to the dark side for some reason

My living room TV is possessed, a Vizio OLED that I got a couple years ago. Best way to describe it is sometimes when it comes out of a cold shutdown, maybe one in five or one in ten times, screen brightness is at zero but then contrast is cranked up. All it shows is this really dark washed out image until I do a full restart.

Have the extended warranty on it but haven't had anyone out to check on it. Fairly confident it's a software issue though, it only started happening after a firmware update.

My old rig (7700k, z270, 1080ti) which is now my son's new rig has been acting weird on occasion when my son is using it. As he explains it: he'll be surfing and watching music videos the screen would go black and the sound stops for a few seconds and returns back as normal, but the rig continues to run and not reboot.

I have ran the rig non stop for days to replicate the problem, but it doesn't happen. My son starts using it and it started happening again. He said: "Dad, I think my rig is cursed or something"

I think he may be right :chair:

My old rig (7700k, z270, 1080ti) which is now my son's new rig has been acting weird on occasion when my son is using it. As he explains it: he'll be surfing and watching music videos the screen would go black and the sound stops for a few seconds and returns back as normal, but the rig continues to run and not reboot.

I have ran the rig non stop for days to replicate the problem, but it doesn't happen. My son starts using it and it started happening again. He said: "Dad, I think my rig is cursed or something"

I think he may be right :chair:
That sounds like either an audio or video driver crash/reset. Wonder if whatever it is shows up in the Event Viewer.

i'd check for dirty power. i realize its in the same house but it could be a breaker going bad or a outlet causing some funk

I think I am too old for mysterious happenings...Everything happens for a logical reason...That is the way it is with every mechanical thing I work on and although I am not a software person...It has been the same with Pc's. As my last resort I throw money at a tricky problem and it goes away. :D :beer:

To the OP if I have a PC not waking up. I change USB ports and if it wakes up , It is the mouse or keyboard..Or driver relating to it.

Last edited:
After my last fiasco, I had a freakin' poltergeist. It kept jumping from one part to another until I nailed it in the gpu. I swapped every part literally rebuilding my rig.

Yeah this thing had no logic to it.

My old Rampage III Formula with X5690 ES. I tried for 8 years to tame the demon within. It wasnt until nearly the end of our relationship when I flashed back to an earlier version and voila. I was able to populate all 6 dimms with a crazy mix of memory that had no business running at all, let alone overclocked. And then I sold her after she had been sitting on a shelf for 9 or 10 months.

I still regret it. We spent a lot of time together. I really got to know her. When she wasn't being a temperamental c u next tuesday, it was really nice to use. Lots of power to drive with. And she stood the test of time. The guilt is still there, but the memories from the family vacation were worth it..

:rain:

I use hdmi to my television from the pc. Webbrowsers streaming apps and also steam , it seems more frequent when advertisements start , audio errors into a load static/scratching noise. Sometimes the program needs ro be launched multiple times for audio to be correct.

Yet to locate the problem and source.

Back