• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

800-900 Budget Gaming Desktop...Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harleyf

I just sold my older setup a few weeks ago and am kinda kicking myself in the *** for doing it. But anyway im needing some help on a parts list to build a new pc. Mainly a fps Gamer was using amd would like to go intel this time for a change. If any1 could help me out i would be very much obliged. Thanks

Is there anyway you could work around a bigger budget? your not going to get much performance on FPS.. just saying... is there anyway you could scrap together more money? or wait a little longer? :p i mean you could do one but with your preferences you're not going to get much more than an I3 maybe an I5...

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!
  • What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.
(OPTIONAL) Have you already looked at or considered any parts (it's okay if you haven't)? If so, please list your top 1-2 choices for each category. If you've only picked out a few of the below, just list those.
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • Graphics Card
  • Power Supply
  • Case
  • Hard Drive
  • Solid State Drive (optional)
  • Mouse (if necessary)
  • Keyboard (if necessary)
  • Monitor (if necessary)
  • Speakers/Headset (if necessary)
Once again, thank you in advannce for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

think about that...^^

I plan on using it mostly for fps gaming but also for just general usage. I'm not very flexible on the budget I could do 1000 at the most but I already have a Windows OS so maybe that'll help. I'll need a monitor, preferably 20-22 2ms response would be nice, but I have everything else. I live in the US and I have bought a few things from Newegg.com. I don't have any real specific requests for the build, I won't be overclocking and I plan on keeping it for a while without upgrading a lot of things, I'd like to have a pretty good build but I'm shooting for top tier obviously. Too be honest I don't care if it's intel or amd and I don't have any specific parts in mind but I would like to have some where around a mid grade gaming computer. It'll mostly be for gaming and torrenting.

No I had planned on ordering most everything off of newegg.com im in florida btw.

I put something together for you, take into consideration I don't know a lot about monitors so you may want to do some research on your own to find a quality one. I have had good luck with Acer's that is why I picked it. The build I'm posting is an AMD build it fits under your $800.00 target, $714.00 with mir and codes. You can also change the CPU and Motherboard for an I5 3750k and an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and it will cost you about $840.00. This is also all from Newegg.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    45.8 KB · Views: 68
Is there anyway you could work around a bigger budget? your not going to get much performance on FPS.. just saying... is there anyway you could scrap together more money? or wait a little longer? :p i mean you could do one but with your preferences you're not going to get much more than an I3 maybe an I5...

Darren, sorry to say, but not evryone is as loaded as you are.

You can get a very decent gaming rig for $900.
3570k+Asrock Xtreme4+8GBDDR+550WPSU+1TBHDD+AMD 7950GPU $50case is roughly $850.
You add a $30 HFS like the 212 and you have a VERY GOOD gaming rig for below $900.

EDIT: assuming you already have monitor, optical drive and keyboard/mouse.

EDIT2: when I say very good, I mean it will play everything maxed out@1080p.

EDIT 3: Kind of being tired of people showing their e-penis to new members who come to the forum in search of info.

Last edited:
Thanks man. Personally would you go the intel or amd?
For most purposes including gaming I'd go with the I5 3750k/ Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 combo. You can use everything else in the build with that combo.

Kind of being tired of people showing their e-penis to new members who come to the forum in search of info.
Lol Manu :thup:

Thanks much guys i went with the Intel Im gonna let know how the build goes if i have any problems

Hey Manu, I'm not loaded, infact i'm broke as hell, it's called saving money for what you want and working you A** off for it.

Hey Manu, I'm not loaded, infact i'm broke as hell, it's called saving money for what you want and working you A** off for it.

Lol! S..t happens ;)

One Titan will do if so, no need for 2...

Back on topic, $900 is much enough.
Think: 1 year ago, a GTX580 was aroun $450, right. Nowadays, a $300 7950 outperforms it by 20%.

Even an AMD6300@4GHz would not bottleneck anything and would allow a nice 60fps min when coupled to a 7950, as soon as you don't push too high on the AA.

Back