• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 1st run w/ Corsair H50, Temp Opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattMan657

Hey all, so I just ran Prime95 for about 15 minutes, I know that isn't that long but I got somewhat nervous as to my readings. Lemme just give the specs of the system first. First build.

i7 3770k
Corsair H50 w/ Arctic Silver 5
Cooler Master HAF932

I have not done any OCing yet but turbo mode is enabled so it runs at around 3.8ghz. All fans running at max speed including the H50's fan and pump. My idle temps typically are 20s to mid 30s, package stays around mid 30s.

The temps from Prime95 using the generic blend test jumped up to the 70s pretty fast and reached low 80s when I stopped the test. I know the H50 is not a high end cooler, but I was expecting it to stay in the low 70s during the stress test. Is that an unrealistic expectation? I don't think the cooler is seated poorly as my idles are fine, as far as I know.

Should I be concerned with this? These are the questions I gotta ask before I overclock the system as I've never done an OC before. Thanks for you're help.

Yea, I figured so. I have no problems with it when idle and in game, but no OCing so I don't think it would hold up for a good OC. I'm picking up the H90 with two Akasa Viper fans for a push pull when I get my tax return.

Before you buy it check this promotion out H80i/H100i Promo that ends April 30th.

The Corsair Link for only $10 more is a steal. I paid $150 lighting and cooling node. This is just for cooling and monitoring your temps, fans and pumps etc. The problem is they lack good software and is still really buggy for most and apparently some don't have a problem. I would go with that deal if I had the funds at the moment and in need of a cooler.

Only problem with those is that they use a different mounting system than the H50. If I wanted to get one of those, would be the H100i, I would have to pull out the mobo to be able to get to the rear back plate which is slightly hidden by my case, and I do not feel like doing that. This is why I'd like to get the H90 as I can use the H50's mounting system. I don't really care that much about the Corsair Link software, it sounds like it can be finicky at times.

Yea, I figured so. I have no problems with it when idle and in game, but no OCing so I don't think it would hold up for a good OC. I'm picking up the H90 with two Akasa Viper fans for a push pull when I get my tax return.

Swiftech H220. Nothing less. Have you read all the news, front page reviews etc on it?

I've had my old h100 running 24/7 since I got it 2 Christmases ago. It's been good to me. Wish the lines were an inch longer.. I didn't like the stock fans so I put my own on. It has no problems keeping my CPU running at 4400mhz @1.4v in the high 60s low 70s under p95 load. I usually run my fans at 70%. I have an NH D-14 and an Ultra120 Extreme and can only run my CPU at 4200mhz 1.3v. I fold on occasion and it will run for days/weeks and can take 4500mhz with 1.44v with my fans at 80%. I do not have a compatible case for it, I just wedged it in place :thup:

They aren't significantly better for temps than the H220, it's still a 120x2 sized rad. The Edge or Elite won't show significant changes unless you go to 120x3 rad size.

That said, the pump and future expandability (especailly with the 35x pump, the Edge is a 35x pump with a built in block) is a much better setup, and it's a KIT, not an AIO. It's good stuff, pretty much best you can buy for a basic kit.

The H20 Elite/Edge HD as stated before both use the MCP-35x pump. The H220 uses a 6-watt pump compared to the 18-watt beast. 3 times more powerful hense the price difference.

Very good point. I'd consider getting the Elite/Edge because for long term scalability it sounds like the right choice. I've never setup a kit so that would be interesting, but then again, I had never built a gaming rig till now and that worked out fine so far.

Back