• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI RMA - How perfect does it have to be ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

\dev\goat

man /dev/goat
I posted a thread a few months back about how my gtx 570 blew up again.

Well, it's been sitting on the shelf for literally months now, because I've been too lazy to take the waterblocks off and put the stock heatsink back on and send it in.

Problem is, in the meantime I've lost the dumb little thermal pads that go with the stock heatsink, and I've run out of thermal paste at the moment.

How perfect does it need to be before I send it in ? Would they have a fit about missing thermal pads if the problem is a blown-up VRM ?

I've never had a problem with an MSI RMA, but since it's a blown VRM, they may have an issue with signs that you removed the stock heatsink. They could easily turn around and say "Well, you didn't cool the card and that's why it blew" and deny the repair/exchange. Maybe someone with a better understanding will come in, I'm just assuming they'll look for a reason to deny it.

Put pads back on it or chances are they won't RMA it. If you replace pads with paste, I highly doubt they will take it. If there is nothing, no way will they take it...

I had a waterblock (CPU) crack and spill all over both my 250s awhile back. I removed everything, bought contact cleaner, cleaned the entire board.

Some of the copper where the heatsink mounts had oxidation. put ketchup (oh yea, deal with it) on the mounts, waited 15 minutes later, card looked brand new. MSI accepted it and even upgraded me to a 460 :)

card is sitting in the same place it was when I started this thread, with the waterblock still on it haha.

warranty probably gonna run out before I get around to sending it back in. I'm getting pretty used to the single card. Only been playing everquest lately so it hasn't made much of an impact.

20130626_213130.jpg

Back