• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Brother Wants Me to Build Him a Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

My brother just graduated from Graduate School and he would like me to build him a new desktop. The computer will be used mainly for school (PHD). His schooling however, requires more computing power than one would expect. He will be opening and flipping through thousand page PDFs, combining them, OCRing them, etc. All while having 20 tabs open in Chrome and downloading another 1000 page PDF document in the background. All of that said, he also wants to be able to play low-mid graphics PC games (things like C&C and at MOST Call of duty), though we both know he will barely ever have time to game.

All of the requests he has scream two things to me.
1. SSD
2. Multicore

Here is what I have come up with. Let me know what you think, and what suggestions you have. (oh, and it's supposed to be under $750)

AMD FX-8320 Vishera

MSI 970A-G46 AM3+

Crucial M4 256gb

GIGABYTE GV-R667D3-2GI Radeon HD 6670

+ 8gb 1600 RAM, Antec 450W PSU, Hyper 212 EVO, ASUS DVD Burner, Mid Tower Case

All for $729

Last edited:
That video card is also very basic and you should be looking at getting at least a GTX650Ti or 7850. Don't expect to play modern games on a 6670, unless it's going to be at a tiny resolution with low graphics.

I have to keep it under $750 guys. I could MAYBE upgrade the graphics card to a 650ti and go a little over, but I certainly can't go for that processor and a diff. motherboard. COD was actually a little much. All the games he will play will be from 1995-2007/8

Furthermore, though it is not something to place all of your bets on, the Vishera outmaches the i5 on PassMark.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8320+Eight-Core&id=1782

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3570K+@+3.40GHz&id=828

Last edited:
An FX-8xxx chip need a good board to flex its muscle.

You are MUCH better with a 3570k and an Asrock Xtrem3, then a 650TI/AMD7850 or better.

got a mincrocenter next to you?
the i5 is normaly $190 and mobo is 50 off when you buy the i5

I just want to second both of those points the other two members just made. Also I notice you have an aftermarket cooler there. Do you plan to over lock? If so you want a roughly 150 dollar board whereas if you are not over clocking you can use a 80 dollar motherboard. Sorry for any spelling errors etc I'm on an iPad...

I too would prefer an intel processor. However, it HAS TO BE under $750. I suppose I may be able to get the 3570k and not get a graphics card and tell him he can play C&C Generals and his old games, but if he wants to play real games he will have to pony up. Can you give me some solid evidence for the 3570k over the AMD in general processing? (They are both good processors http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/vishera_review?page=0,0)

He will not be overclocking, though I like to be safe with better coolers. Plus, I suppose it couldn't hurt to give it a .4Ghz boost or so.

I don't have a Microcenter anywhere near me.

Last edited:
I too would prefer an intel processor. However, it HAS TO BE under $750. I suppose I may be able to get the 3570k and not get a graphics card and tell him he can play C&C Generals and his old games, but if he wants to play real games he will have to pony up. Can you give me some solid evidence for the 3570k over the AMD in general processing?

He will not be overclocking, though I like to be safe with better coolers. Plus, I suppose it couldn't hurt to give it a .4Ghz boost or so.

I don't have a Microcenter anywhere near me.

i5 is a lot faster also stick with stock if no OC that should free up some money

Honestly I think a 83xx anything is overkill from what he plans on using it for. I think saving a few dollars on a FX6350 and spending more on a 16gb kit of ram and larger SSd like 256gb would be better suited for him. Heck even a A10 5800K would be great for what he will be doing just make sure you buy fast ram 2133mhz for the A10.

A good processor is way more important than 16gb of 2133mhz ram. As a matter of fact, I doubt he would notice the difference if I were to change the ram. The SSD I chose is 256gb.

Ditch the 256gb SSD' get only a 128gb. Upgrade to more SSD later if needed.

This way he can get a 3570k and a 650ti/7850

noname2020x.

Your welcome to do the research. We have peeps who know stuff here and do this stuff on the forums day in day out. They don't need to rehash for the 50th person why what is what. They know.

They know. Your welcome to read the CPU forums and Google to find out.

Your build is basic CPU usage, just need 16 GB of ram and a 660 or so GPU. A 2 TB HD and a 256 GB SSD.

Wait till Haswell comes out in a month and get one of those and no need for a GPU. Use integrated graphics that they will use.

Last edited:
Why the 3570K if he is not overclocking? Cheaper i5s are available, and those few dollars may be crucial in this budget.

Quick check on the Egg and the 3350P is nearly $50 cheaper. For light gaming and general use there will be not a noticeable difference between that and the 3570K.

And you can also ditch the aftermarket cooling, the stock cooler is good for stock speeds.

Is there already a monitor available?

Last edited:
I5 3570 non k model. Asus or asrock b75 board (usually about 65-75 bucks). Plus your other parts. Done. No over clocking needed. Less power less heat Etc Etc.

I5 3570 non k model. Asus or asrock b75 board (usually about 65-75 bucks). Plus your other parts. Done. No over clocking needed. Less power less heat Etc Etc.

B75 chipsets could possibly be shipped with older BIOS that need to be flashed with SB chips in them so they can support IBs.

3350P + H77 board. There's no reason for K models and Z chipsets if you aren't overclocking.

I said you only need 2133mhz ram when using a APU like the A10 5800K since the APU uses your system ram for graphics memory and faster is better for that cpu. I still think since he will use lots of pdf's that a larger SSD (for saving files) and 16gb of ram (for having multiple applications and tabs open) will benifit this build. Keeping budget in mind AMD is not a bad cpu if you are not gaming crazy or using multiple gpu's in xfire/sli, which he isn't. If there is no need to overclock then stay away from K-sku intels and Z77 & Z68 boards since they are meant for overclocking. I would still go with as large of a SSD as you can afford and as much ram as your budget fits.

Back