• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need genius advice on building a new gaming PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Allen_Grimms

I'm a broke college student and was stupid, and sold my PC a while ago. I wanna build a new one for gaming. I currently play GW2 and BF3 on a laptop. I need to build something decent I can upgrade later on for around 600-800. Intel/amd, doesn't matter. Preferably Intel. Just need a complete build, and I know you guys rule and can do it. Thanks again!

Last edited:
This is even cheaper if you live near a microcenter

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($196.48 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($254.29 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.24 @ Amazon)
Total: $800.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-05 14:32 EDT-0400)

I wouldn't get an overclockable CPU with a motherboard that only has the minimum power delivery section available.

Also, booting off a green drive is going to make the computer feel horrendously slow.

To the OP, are you planning on overclocking?

I wouldn't get an overclockable CPU with a motherboard that only has the minimum power delivery section available.

Also, booting off a green drive is going to make the computer feel horrendously slow.

To the OP, are you planning on overclocking?

Ahhh oops, didn't see it was a green

As to why the unlocked cpu, the price difference between the 3570 and 3570k is too small to justify getting a locked version imo

Yes I do plan on overclocking eventually. I can spend a little more than 800 for a better Mobo or PSU if need be.

If you want to overclock:

Will post with an Intel (probably not overclockable) option in a sec. IMO, they're both equally good options, AMD might be slightly better.

Never mind, fit a 3570K, this is the better option (3570K from Amazon):
Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 3.22.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 3.22.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 3.22.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Isn't a better idea to grab what Woodenwiki recommended just changing the mobo to an AsRock z77 Extreme 4? In amazon it's only $30 more. He could pass on the cpu cooler now and use the factory one. Then, down the road, get a good cooler to reach high speeds. I think for gaming is a better option. While I was waiting for my H220 to arrive, I lived a month with the factory cooler. At stock speeds it works just fine.

What you guys think?

Provided that GPU is a 7870xt(which I believe it is), Knufire's build looks great except for the PSU. The XFX I listed is a SeaSonic rebrand, the Corsair CX500 is a channel Well rebrand, i highly recommend the XFX.

Back