• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 770 and multiple monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OneArmedScissor

Ok this is a pretty noob question, but...

I just upgraded from a 480 GTX to an EVGA sc 770 GTX.
I use a two monitor set up, but with the it's only got 1 DVI- connection and the other connection is a DVI-D. Well, I can use one of my monitors by hooking it up to the DVI-I adapter thing, but not with the DVI-D. I bought a DVI-D adapter, but this doesn't work.

Basically I'm asking how can I run two monitors on a 770 GTX?
The monitors are some $150 Acer 23". Nothing special.

What inputs do your monitors have? Do you have a link to them?

Both of your monitors have a DVI port, why not just use two DVI cables?

If you're using a DVI-D cable then you can use either one of the DVI ports. Most monitors today come with a DVI-D cable so you shouldn't have this issue.

Are you saying that the cables you have, you can't use? This is what a DVI-D cable looks like, it fits in both DVI-D and DVI-I slots.

71ydeDY6NgL._SL1500_.jpg

You can head over to Monoprice and get a 6ft one for under $10 shipped if you don't have any.

Ok I think there is some confusion here and it could possibly be me. :confused:

The ports off the Monitor are a DVI and VGA analog (D-Sub). The GPU has only 2 DVIs, Display Port and HDMI. You'll need to grab a DVI cable which should be included already for one monitor and a VGA (D-SUB) to DVI adapter which probably isn't included in order to make this work. Hope this helps. :salute:

Ok I think there is some confusion here and it could possibly be me. :confused:

The ports off the Monitor are a DVI and VGA analog (D-Sub). The GPU has only 2 DVIs, Display Port and HDMI. You'll need to grab a DVI cable which should be included already for one monitor and a VGA (D-SUB) to DVI adapter which probably isn't included in order to make this work. Hope this helps. :salute:
Why does he need a VGA cable? He has two monitors, each with a DVI port and a graphics card with two DVI outputs.

:facepalm:Holy cow. :chair:

My bad guys as I was confused and thought one monitor had a DVI and the other VGA only somehow. My brain farted and than froze. :borg:

What cullam3n said is right on the money and you should be good to go.

In the meantime..... :escape:

Are you saying that the cables you have, you can't use? This is what a DVI-D cable looks like, it fits in both DVI-D and DVI-I slots.

71ydeDY6NgL._SL1500_.jpg

You can head over to Monoprice and get a 6ft one for under $10 shipped if you don't have any.

So, you want DVI-D Dual link cables... this guide should help.

your card has the two in the middle, DVI-I Dual Link and DVI-D Dual link... Lucky for us DVI-D dual link works perfectly fine in the DVI-I plug.

( I had this same issue when setting up my 3d surround)

Attachments

• original.gif
    original.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 7,898
Thanks guys. Got it all worked out.

Now I got a new problem. I was away for a few days and when I came back home, my computer was completely locked up. Like, just stuck going "uuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". Anyway, rebooted and it kept failing to load Windows. BSOD, etc. etc. Checked the BIOS, and noticed that the computer was trying to run my overclock settings, but that all the options, like where you change the settings, were all on Auto? I dunno it was really weird. Cleared the CMOS and went back to overclocking. Typed in my previous OC settings and it would boot to windows, but instead of running at 4.5GHz, the CPU was running at 3.8GHz (which isn't even stock) in CPU-Z? Really strange. Updated the BIOS and cleared CMOS again.
Got it back up to 4.5GHz with 1.25-1.26 volts and everything is all good, but now I can't overclock my RAM back to what it was (2400). I've got the G.Skills 8GB Tridents and now they won't even do 2000.
I guess it's not that big of a deal because it's the RAM, but I want my ram back up to 2400!

Back