• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me pls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aspired257

:confused: :shock:
hi can some one help me overclock my cpu on a ga-m61pme-s2p
I have a Athlon 64x2 4800 2.5 ghs
I have 3 gs of ram
I have a ati radeon hd 4350

I downloaded the manual for that particular motherboard in Rev 1.3 from Gigabyte website and there were absolutely NO options in bios for overclocking. None visible in bios menu descriptions in the downloaded manual.
RGone...

Neither of those two boards will work with that CPU generation which had a DDR2 integrated memory controller. DDR3 hadn't been invented yet. And you can't use DDR2 RAM in any AM3 or AM3+ motherboard.

Neither of those two boards will work with that CPU generation which had a DDR2 integrated memory controller. DDR3 hadn't been invented yet. And you can't use DDR2 RAM in any AM3 or AM3+ motherboard.

really? i think it should work fine.

i mean the core 2 duo i have can work with ddr3 memory as long as the chips on those sticks dont exceed 256mb. or how about the socket 462 athlon and duron that can support ddr1 while they were still using sdram?

can you explain why his athlon would not work with ddr3 ram?

The socket AM2 works with single, dual, triple and quad-core desktop processors with frequencies up to 3.2 GHz. The socket supports dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM memory controller.

Socket AM2 cpus supported >> 1800 MHz - 3200 MHz 3400+ - 6400+

Athlon 64 X2

» K8 microarchitecture
» 0.065 and 0.09 micron
» Desktop CPU
» Dual core
» Up to 3.2 GHz
» Up to 2 MB L2 cache
» 64-bit
» SSE2, SSE3
» Virtualization

These are the sockets the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ can be used in and they are only DDR2.
Socket 939 << Actually this is a DDR memory type board and not even DDR2 and certainly not DDR3.
Socket AM2
Socket S1 (S1g1)

The socket AM2 works with single, dual, triple and quad-core desktop processors with frequencies up to 3.2 GHz. The socket supports dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM memory controller.

Socket AM2 cpus supported >> 1800 MHz - 3200 MHz 3400+ - 6400+

Athlon 64 X2

» K8 microarchitecture
» 0.065 and 0.09 micron
» Desktop CPU
» Dual core
» Up to 3.2 GHz
» Up to 2 MB L2 cache
» 64-bit
» SSE2, SSE3
» Virtualization

These are the sockets the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ can be used in and they are only DDR2.
Socket 939 << Actually this is a DDR memory type board and not even DDR2 and certainly not DDR3.
Socket AM2
Socket S1 (S1g1)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

then i guess youll have to buy one of these processors to go along wtiht his board, aspired257

There are a number of New Old stock and used AM2 motherboards for sale on the internet. The problem is if you do not pay very very close attention when buying another motherboard, the same problem can still be there since the bios on some of the cheap-azz boards back then did not allow for manual control of the cpu speed and voltages. But there are just a pile of good AM2 motherboards of all prices out there still. Just not at NewEgg or Mwave or the major Etailers like those two.
RGone...

(G{in}[AK)TION],

Socket AM3 CPUs and even (technically) socket AM3+ CPUs will work in socket AM2/AM2+ motherboards as long as the bios of the board is updated to recognize the CPU model. The reason is that socket AM3/AM3+ CPUs have dual memory controllers that allow them to work with DDR3 or DDR2 RAM. The reverse is not true, however. Socket AM2/AM2+ CPUs will not run in socket AM3/AM3+ boards because the CPU memory controller only supports DDR2 RAM and AM3/AM3+ boards use DDR3. The key in all this is what will the CUP built in memory controller support. Since the days of the Athlon 64 the memory controller was moved off the motherboard and put on the CPU die, hence the term "Integrated Memory Controller" or "IMC". To put it another way, socket AM3/AM3+ CPUs are backwardly compatible with socket AM2/AM2+ board and DDR3 memory technology but socket AM2/AM2+ CPUs are not upwardly compatible with socket AM3/AM3+ boards and DDR3 RAM technology.

Last edited:
Back