• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Saints Row The Third Crashes Whole System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

Hey Guys,

SO I have a fresh-from-Steam installation of Saints Row 3 and it crashes my whole system to the BIOS splash screen whenever I try to run it.

I have updated my nVidia drivers, updated my DirectX client, and have tried running the game in both DX9 and DX10/11. Everything just hard reboots my system.

I have tried verifying local game cache and reinstalling the game. Any more ideas?

System specs are all in my signature.

Thanks

Tried running with no overclocks?

Do you get a BSOD flash?

Have you turned off auto-reboot on system failure (computer->properties->advanced I believe)

Sorry you're having problems with the game, hope you get it worked out! Was one of my favorite games from 2011.

I haven't tried reverting to default clocks. My GPU is not currently OC'ed. It hasn't BSOD'd. It just freezes up on the Windows spinning circle thing and then the monitor goes black and I get the BIOS splash screen again.

googled around for you, these are what I've found so far:

- Try updating your motherboard BIOS
(from: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/STEAMGamesonAMDFXplatforms.aspx)

Secondly:

– Set the compatibility mode to the game to “Windows XP”
– Run the game directly instead of using the generated shortcut
– Check your game cache / revalidate it to ensure you have okay files
– Run the game in DirectX 9 mode
– If you use multiple monitors, then disable one of them
– Exit any program that could mess with the game
– Run the game in a different, more common resolution

I know you've already tried a couple, but worth a shot.

Maybe try disabling Afterburner/etc (if you have it installed)

Thank you. I'll try flashing the BIOS to see if that works. Hopefully I don't brick my board. ;)

Hmm the linked Gigabyte BIOS, according to my computer, isn't supported by 64-bit Windows. I can't find a 64-Bit BIOS. I don't think there is such a thing... I'll try it in compatibility mode.

The BIOS listed there may not be the one for your exact motherboard. Go to Gigabyte's site and download the latest BIOS for your exact model.

edit: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3894#bios

That should take you to the board listed in your signature.

Gigabyte has an application called @BioS (maybe something newer by now, haven't used their boards for a few years) that will do the upgrade for you. Just make sure to follow the instructions.

Back