• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chaintechs anyone use 'em?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

I've been a plotting my tax refund spend carefully, I was all set to buy a K7S5A from ECS, but then I noticed the price on the Chaintech 7VJDA wasn't too bad locally, and looked up some benchmarks and discovered that the KT266A chipset seems to be kicking SiS's butt now, and also that this board is one of the faster KT266A boards according to the almighty "Tom".

As I understand it, for overclocking the functions are modest, FSB up to 166 in 1Mhz steps, voltage only up to 1.85
without mods. But that sounds good enough for me.

So guys, all in all what's this board like, good value? lame duck?

Don't recommend anything more expensive, though please, this is stretching things anyway. Sure I could buy a $200+ board and run a duron 800 on it for the next 12 months, but I'd rather get an XP 1600 or 1700.

Looks like I'll go with an XP 1700 on it at the minute, the diff between that and the 1600 locally is $2 at the moment, also best heatsink I seem to be able to get with it will be a Thermaltake 6cu. I'm having to get a new case, and will get 256Mb DDR with it.

Also any word on thoroughbred compatibility on this board at the moment? I know the KT266A is meant to be compatible.

Oh will there be any probs running a PCI vid card in it do you think? I mean besides not getting optimum oooomph, I've got a Voodoo 3 PCI that I'm keeping for now, can't afford anything in AGP that will be markedly better.

Thanks in advance,

Road Warrior

Back