• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I crossfire on single 1080p?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

I want to know if crossfiring two 7950s on a single 1080p display worth the extra money?

I mean, you will get a performance increase surely, but that said, your setup can hold things back.

What CAN'T you play at 1080 with a single 7950 anyway?

CLiff's: I wouldn't do it, no.

I mean, you will get a performance increase surely, but that said, your setup can hold things back.

What CAN'T you play at 1080 with a single 7950 anyway?

CLiff's: I wouldn't do it, no.

I can play pretty much anything, but not at maximum settings on a single 1080p. I did have to lower some settings on several games. TBH, I want to run any modern and upcoming titles at maximum settings without having to fiddle and balance which gfx settings to get a reasonable FPS. I think I would be happy playing at maximum settings on 1080p.

I can play pretty much anything, but not at maximum settings on a single 1080p. I did have to lower some settings on several games. TBH, I want to run any modern and upcoming titles at maximum settings without having to fiddle and balance which gfx settings to get a reasonable FPS. I think I would be happy playing at maximum settings on 1080p.

Hi,
Ii got last week 2x7950, 200$ each, and sold my 670. I play my games @ 1080p, bf4 is coming in teo month, i dont think the power will be useless if i want to maximize the game. Im planning to go eyefinity in some months btw. 7950s are cheap these days , why not?

I cant see your specs btw,im on the mobile version.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think you'd be better off upgrading your CPU/Motherboard before dumping another couple hundred bucks into a second GPU (and probably a PSU, too.. your PSU might not cut it for crossfire).

I usually prefer to buy a single better GPU rather than going SLI/Xfire. Less heat, less power consumption, and a cheaper MoBo. If you don´t care about these then go SLI/Xfire. You can also sell your 7950 for something like 120$ and put 200$ on top and get a 7970, or for around the 400$ mark you can get an awesome GTX 770.

I wouldn't run Crossfire on that motherboard. Second slot is an x4.

I agree with pcgamer4life, you'll be better off replacing the stuff that's showing some age.

The only meaningful upgrades to a 7950@1225/1625 are a second 7950/70 or titan/780. A 680/7970/770 would be under 10% faster unless they were amazing clockers.

Edit: I can see used 7950s hitting 150 soon since they are starting to hit 200 new with 3 games, but 120 is a bit low.

A 7950 for $120? Ill tale 3 please! Never saw them close to that cheap...got any links?

I was just speculating in the used card market in the USA. I don´t live there, so I really have no idea what used GPUs retail prices are. I was just estimating. For a card that new costs 200$, I thought 120$ would be a fair price, which is a 40% reduction of the new value of the card. Sorry I it was way off.

Edit: In my country prices are double of those in the USA or more. For example, a GTX 760 retails in here for something like 560$ (US dollars), and the same used card for something like 450$. That is why I can not really do a comparison.

After looking, I didnt find any, but that sounds reasonable. I was thinking these were still closer to $300 new.

hmm thanks for all reply but after some careful thought i think I will skip crossfiring...IF any of the new 99xx cards can fit in my case and safely operate under my current PSU for $400 then i can see myself patiently waiting for an upgrade by the end of this year. I feel this would far outweigh the benefit of CFing in my particular situation. i.e., net expense differences between CFing and upgradiing to single GPU are marginal and CFing would make me reorganize the case because of the new PSU and mobo..ugh

Last edited:
Well games have nothing to do with used prices.. but yeah. :)

Well indirectly they have. This is a bundle that will according to AMD last forever and will be an accustomed "gift". Now, say u buy a 7950 for 200$. On top of the card you get 3 free games that have a value of 70$. You can use this games, or sell them for at least 40$. If u take the later road, then the actual cost of the card would have been 160$. People selling used GPUs will have to compete with this. If usually the card retailed at 200$, and I could a used one for 120$, that would be an appealing deal. Now with the 200$ version u get 70$ worth of games, so the 120$ are not so appealing anymore.

I think that CPU would hold the video cards back, assuming the 4x second slot doesn't already.

I think your system looks pretty balanced right now though. If you're itching for an upgrade why don't you think about getting a mechanical keyboard.

Back