• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to upgrade motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GilbertC06

This gigabyte mobo has let me down. It runs way too hot and supposedly will throttle the 8 core FXs. Luckily I have a warranty with Frys and they are letting me choose another board instead of giving me the same one.

I've had my eyes on the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z and the sabertooth.

Which one should I get?

If you are going to run "super-cold" the CHV-z would be the best choice. If you are not likely to do more than just use very good water-cooling, then the Asus Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0 would be just fine.

This is the board still being sold thru NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

There were some Sabertooth's named like this > ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX GEN3 R2.0 that had some issues with them. About the time we saw the problems NewEgg no longer was selling the GEN3 boards and I have not seen them appear again since the problems we saw some users seeming to have.

I think I saw one user come in the AMD Mobo Forum section and say that he had no issues at all with his GEN3 Rev2.0 Sabertooth, but still none have come back for sale at NewEgg in nearly 2 mos now. Asus must have felt there was a problem and stopped shipping the GEN3 board.

Otherwise that is all that has come thru here that is seemingly up to date.
RGone...

PS: IF and that is IF you lean more toward the CHV-z board, by all means go that route as I doubt it would not satisfy you. I was only thinking the currency thing. I am and have been since Mid 2012, been very pleased with my CHV non-z board.
RGone...Again.

If you are going to run "super-cold" the CHV-z would be the best choice. If you are not likely to do more than just use very good water-cooling, then the Asus Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0 would be just fine.

This is the board still being sold thru NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

There were some Sabertooth's named like this > ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX GEN3 R2.0 that had some issues with them. About the time we saw the problems NewEgg no longer was selling the GEN3 boards and I have not seen them appear again since the problems we saw some users seeming to have.

I think I saw one user come in the AMD Mobo Forum section and say that he had no issues at all with his GEN3 Rev2.0 Sabertooth, but still none have come back for sale at NewEgg in nearly 2 mos now. Asus must have felt there was a problem and stopped shipping the GEN3 board.

Otherwise that is all that has come thru here that is seemingly up to date.
RGone...

PS: IF and that is IF you lean more toward the CHV-z board, by all means go that route as I doubt it would not satisfy you. I was only thinking the currency thing. I am and have been since Mid 2012, been very pleased with my CHV non-z board.
RGone...Again.

I've run the numbers and even with the in store credit my wallet would take a big hit from the crosshair. That being said it's just so badass knowing that that I will be owning that board and I've seen the features such as the bios and what not.

http://www.frys.com/product/7325994?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

^That is the sabertooth they have in store that I could get. I'm not doubting that it will fit all my needs but I'm wondering if I'll have buyers remorse wishing that I could have had the rolls royce of AMD boards instead of the mercedes.

Btw I will certainly be getting the warranty again. It's just way easier since I live about 10 min from the store and I've heard that Asus has poor customer support.

Heck man that Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0 is $10.00 cheaper than NewEgg. I doubt at that money difference that the CHV-z is worth it if you really are not going super-cold.
RGone...

I've run the Sabertooth r2 through hell and back, literally Gilbert. It's one solid board and Like Rgone said the only real difference is the colour and a few more buttons. Seriously though the Sbertooth is a great board.

GilbertC06, it's nice to say we have the Rolls Royce of something but if it's just sitting idle not being used then what good is it. The CHV -Z is a great board but if your not using what you're spending the extra money on it's just wasted money. The Sabertooth is basically the same board without the bells and whistles you won't be using anyway.

GilbertC06, it's nice to say we have the Rolls Royce of something but if it's just sitting idle not being used then what good is it. The CHV -Z is a great board but if your not using what you're spending the extra money on it's just wasted money. The Sabertooth is basically the same board without the bells and whistles you won't be using anyway.

Okay what I do want from the CHV

UEFI bios

Supreme FX sound

Possibly the ability to achieve a stable 4.0 clock on my proc and any other OC on a new proc.

Color scheme

heat dissipation

But I guess youre right. I could save the 100 or so bucks and buy a better case in the future.

Okay what I do want from the CHV
I want a lot of things but that doesn't mean just buy it.

UEFI bios
Sabertooth has it also

Supreme FX sound
Unless you have very high end speakers you wont notice the difference

Possibly the ability to achieve a stable 4.0 clock on my proc and any other OC on a new proc.
We haven't seen any difference between the CHV and the Sabertooth as far as overclocking, other then if you're going to go sub zero
Color scheme
Yes there is a difference there.

heat dissipation
No real difference between the two.

So if you want to spend more money for the color sheme, that's your choice but the other arguments really aren't valid. Buying a better case is!

Now I know why I wrote this in my first post in this thread and it was a "PS:" >> PS: IF and that is IF you lean more toward the CHV-z board, by all means go that route as I doubt it would not satisfy you. I was only thinking the currency thing. I am and have been since Mid 2012, been very pleased with my CHV non-z board.
RGone...Again.

Something just told me that there was going to be a 'choicey' thing at the end. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.:clap::bday::bang head:bump::welcome:

Back