• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitfenix PRODIGY M - need advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gtsarts

Hello! good to find you.
i have my bitfenix prodigy M case preordered and all the components ready but i really could use some advice about watercooling and air flow..

i already created a photoshop image on what my case will look like

image.jpg

i m thinkin of placing an alphacool nexxxos st30 below the top fans but i could really use some advice about fans pushing air into the case and other options i have. the loop will be used for a CPU only cooling.

options:
1. 240 radiator below top fans (30mm max and i may have to cut the drive mount of the case a bit)
2. 240 radiator push and pull with two fans above the case
3. 240 radiator below top fans and 120 radiator side fan (that's my main problem! is it ok for two fans to push air through radiators in the case and the bottom 230 pushing out??)

really looking forward to your advices and help, and please excuse my english

Thanx in advance mates! :)

RIG: ASUS Maximus VI Gene / Intel Core i7-4770K / ASUS GTX770 DirectCU II OC / 16GB-Kit G.Skill TridentX 2400 / Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 1000GB / Corsair GS800 2013 / BitFenix Recon / bitfenix spectre pro led fans

http://rog.asus.com/152712012/news/prodigy-projekt-a-watercooled-overclocked-mini-itx-lan-monster/

Relax, it's simple. Put our radiator on the top, with the fans above them, pulling air through the radiator, out of the case. (you'll have the natural hot air rising to help airflow, you'll exhaust the hot air from your graphics card out well, and keep all your other fans as intakes as to create the positive pressure to help with dust, and the cooler outsider air moving over components).

thank you for your time, i have decided to go like this placing a 240mm above top fans (maybe even a push and pull with two fans above the case but that's not necessary)

image.jpg

only thing that troubles me are the yellow areas. the PSU exhaust and if there will be a problem with fans and gpu pulling air from a small area right between them.

as for the tube-pump combo it's 161mm high, same as the PSU and if i can not fit it left i will mount it right next to the rear fan.

hard drives are mounted at the back of the mobo which is where the psu cables will go to (perfect!) http://cdn5.thinkcomputers.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/prod1.jpg

so, what do you think?

Go top down, as intended.
The whole "hot air rises" is dramatically overstated and is only important in passive cooling.

So air in from the top, and air out thru the floor. Front/Side intake (get some air over the VRMs).
Yes, it means that the whole inside will be hotter, but it wont melt :)

Now, if you would put a waterblock on the GPU, then you could reverse the airflow to bottom up :)

Go top down, as intended.
The whole "hot air rises" is dramatically overstated and is only important in passive cooling.

So air in from the top, and air out thru the floor. Front/Side intake (get some air over the VRMs).
Yes, it means that the whole inside will be hotter, but it wont melt :)

Now, if you would put a waterblock on the GPU, then you could reverse the airflow to bottom up :)

He's right. You'll have the Top fan fighting with the 2 Fans on the GPU. Both will be pulling air away from each other. It will be a total mess. You have to go top to bottom air flow in this case unless you go full H20, than you're able to go from bottom to top.

i decided to go RED! what do you think?

redair.jpg

air flow is redisigned according to your advices, 4 more days for my bitfenix to arrive! :)

i hope you mean RED leds and red tubing, not red coolant...:chair:

:thup: for your avatar man!

well, red means almost everything, red led fans, fittings, cpu block leds etc..
The only reason i consider using coloured coolant is the water of the tank, why buying a tank this kind if you don't want it to be red? ( and i 'm not sure if a led effect will be the same)

:thup: for your avatar man!

well, red means almost everything, red led fans, fittings, cpu block leds etc..
The only reason i consider using coloured coolant is the water of the tank, why buying a tank this kind if you don't want it to be red? ( and i 'm not sure if a led effect will be the same)

Buy a red colored cyclinder reservoir if you want. Take a look at Primochills new colored reservoirs and tubing. Should be a nice match there. I would steer away from colored tubing, that's if you don't want to trash your H20 stuff down the road when its all stained etc.

or in a nutshell:
-the problem with colour additives in the liquid is that it might affect performance, that it will stain (blocks & tubing) and if you got some of that cheap nasty stuff that it will solidify and block your microchannels in the block(s) or wear out the pump

-the problem with uv-reactive or coloured tubing is that some of that tubing "breaks down" faster as normal because of the extra chemicals in it.
This can lead to plasticiser build-up and block your microchannels in the block(s) or wear out the pump.

"Window" PCs which allow tubing to be exposed to sunlight will have this degeneration process accelerated

Hence the yearly breakdown, clean, rebuild :)

Back