• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor goes black after 2 seconds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Escapent

Model: Hanns G HW191D

Trying to run it through VGA onto my Xbox.

The problem: The monitor displays the image for about 2 seconds and then the screen goes black. The power light stays green but the screen itself is completely black. It isnt dimmed, just black. The process repeats when I turn the monitor off and on again.

I dont know what to do or what the problem is. I think i've narrowed it down to:

1) Backlight

2) Capacitator

3) Inverter

I dont know anything about technology, and dont even know what these 3 terms mean. I've done so much research but cant seem to piece together any of it. I called Hanns G and the operator told me he thought it was the Backlight according to what I described, but i've seen plenty of other threads like this one where people say its the Capacitator or Inverter.

If anyone has any insight on this, please help. I dont know how to fix it, where to fix it, how much it would cost etc. I dont even know what the true problem is yet.

If you have any more questions I will answer them to the best of my ability. Thank you.

Try using an input from a computer and see if that works, just to eliminate anything with the Xbox VGA cable.

Try using an input from a computer and see if that works, just to eliminate anything with the Xbox VGA cable.

I tried running it through DVI on my computer. Same problem.

Also, I know the VGA isnt the problem because I use the same VGA on my other monitor just fine. :confused:

Can you find out if the monitor is under warranty?

Both warranties have expired. I called Hanns G and the best they could tell me was that it was probably the Backlight, and if I were to have them fix it I would have to pay 60% of the original retail price of the whole monitor, and all the shipping and handeling.

But as I said I did so much research and tons of people complain of this same exact problem, and people say the Capacitator is the problem. Im wondering why the guy I called thinks its the Backlight. Isnt the Capacitator cheaper/easier to fix?

If you know how to solder, yes a capacitor is easy to replace.

Back