• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios flash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hexum

Registered
i need to flash my bios in order to change DRAM clock settings and the instructions on epox's site don't work for me. They said there's 2 ways to do it:

First One
======

1. Download the required BIOS image file from the EPoX website.

2. Copy or extract the BIOS image file (named xxxxxxxx.bin) to a blank floppy disk with no bad sectors on it.

3. Restart the machine with the floppy disk in the floppy drive. When prompted at machine initialization, press ALT+F2 to begin
performing the flashing of the BIOS.

4. The BIOS will automatically flash and reboot the machine.
-------------------------------

well i tried putting the .bin file on a blank floppy and rebooting, but i got invalid system disk.

Second One
========

1. Create a bootable floppy disk in accordance with the instructions laid out in the manual of your particular operating system. This bootable floppy needs to be able to boot to a DOS console capable of executing normal MS-DOS batch and executable files.

2. Download and extract the xxxxxxxx.EXE file corresponding to your model from the EPoX website to the floppy. It will self extract into the above listed files.

3. Boot using your DOS floppy disk to the ‘A:\>’ command prompt. At the DOS command prompt type: UPDATE

4. The BIOS will automatically flash.

5. Reboot the machine.
---------------------------------------
after i make a win98 startup disk, i go to extract the new bios file onto the floppy, but there's not enough room.

what am i doing wrong?? i didn't think it would be this difficult. thanks in advance

I just did this last night, and I had the same trouble, so I think I know what's wrong. First, put the *.exe bios file on a blank disk and keep it there. I went ahead and unzipped it on the same disk also, but you may not need to do that. Next, watch for the Alt+F2 message at the bottom of the screen during the boot-up. It'll appear and disappear quickly, but if you're watching for it, then hit the Alt+F2 keys. Then just watch what happens...don't touch anything else.

The next step in the instructions are to reboot the system and get into the CMOS (delete key) and the hit the "optimized defaults" setting, save and reboot again. The trouble with this step is that it will reset every setting in your CMOS, including the FSB settings, the multiplier clock, etc. etc.

Finally, make sure you have the EXACT right BIOS for your motherboard. For example, using the BIOS for the 8kta+ will give you trouble if you have an 8kta3+ mobo. Good luck.

Back