• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 2600k CPU-Z Voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spirrwell

Registered
I'm a tad bit confused about my voltages. Basically I have my 2600k OC'd to 4.2 GHz with the voltage set in the bios to 1.38 which after saving and checking the bios, shows up as 1.31. Well fine, I run CPU-Z in Windows and my voltage is read as 1.356 and when I run prime95, the voltage actually drops to 1.28-1.29 according to CPU-Z, why does this happen?

Also, what would be say the recommended voltage for this CPU at 4.5 GHz?

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE Z68X-UD4-B3.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I run CPU-Z in Windows and my voltage is read as 1.356 and when I run prime95, the voltage actually drops to 1.28-1.29 according to CPU-Z, why does this happen?
Your voltage is most likely dropping at load due to vdroop this can be totally eliminated by setting the load line calibration in your bios to a more aggressive setting.

Your voltage of 1.38 is way too high for a 4.2Ghz overclock. Having said that, you're not running at 1.38 under load, you're running at 1.28, which would be a more appropriate setting, and, even then, maybe a tiny bit high.

The reason your voltage is lower in windows, particularly under load is something Intel calls VDroop (Voltage droop). As voltage is applied (when the cpu ramps load up) the Vdroop kicks in and drops the voltage down slightly.

You can remedy this with Load Line Calibration (LLC) in your bios.

Did you read the 4.5Ghz guide?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693613

Check it out.

Ah, I was mal-informed on the meaning of vdroop then. My stupidity at times knows no bounds... Anyway, yeah, I searched found out about that LLC thing and have been debating whether to keep it at level 5 or 6. 5 keeps it a little bit under, and 6 keeps it a little bit over my actual voltage setting.

I tried 4.5 GHz, but I sincerely need a better heatsink. I mean on 3.4 GHz on prime95 I get low to mid 60s and 4.2 I get high 60s to low 70s.

This EVGA superclock cooler doesn't live up to its name. Anyway, thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I'll hold off until I get a new cooler. I'm still debating on what to upgrade next though in my computer, motherboard, hard drive (to SSD), or the cooler. Recently upgraded to a 660 Ti from a 9600 GT, so I got to get rid of the bottlenecks haha.

Anyway, thanks!

Upgrading the motherboard would be utterly pointless for you. Upgrade to an SSD. I think you should have bought a more powerful GPU than you did too but it's too late.

Well getting a better GPU would mean more money. Besides, it's perfect for me. I just need a new cooler to crank up my CPU and an SSD for the obvious. I wanted a new motherboard for a better design.

I used to have 16 GB of 2133 MHz RAM, but it just wouldn't work at that speed with the four slots filled, so I needed to reduce it to 8 GB. Not like it really matters, but still.

If you are a gamer, I would second a better GPU... its better than the 9600gt, but you bought a midrange last gen card. For gaming you would get more FPS increase in buying a better GPU than getting a cooler and cranking up the CPU. Too late, yeah... :(

If you are a gamer, I would second a better GPU... its better than the 9600gt, but you bought a midrange last gen card. For gaming you would get more FPS increase in buying a better GPU than getting a cooler and cranking up the CPU. Too late, yeah... :(

I was living with a 9600 GT for the longest time, obviously money is my problem. But also I need a better CPU so I can run higher end emulators which are CPU intensive, or say Valve's Hammer editor which compiles with the CPU and not GPU. I could just as easily have gone with a 560, a 550, or whatever, the 660 Ti was my best bet, and I bought it used.

It's all I'll need for the next five years or so.

I have my i7-2600k at 4.2 ghz at 1.2v so yea your 1.38v is way High. I have my Vdrop set so it doesn't drop at all it stays a constant 1.2, I got super lucky with this chip to get 4.2ghz and 1.20v. My temps stay under 40c with a h100 cooler.

Back