• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Specific build/purchase... Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

Here are my requirements.

Small footprint, thin... Much like a Mac mini
1.5ghz processor or better
100 or 1Mb Ethernet
2gb memory
1TB drive with raid 1 support.

Needs to run windows7 or a Linux install that supports NFS and all the hardware listed without much install hassle.

This is going to be my hidden storage enclosure in case someone breaks in and steals all my other stuff.

I have a western digital live duo device that runs Debian, but for whatever reason my devices that use NFS aren't able to copy data reliably... I am guessing this is in part due to the drives and part due to the OS as I can't install/update software due to the kernel.

The problem your going to run into with the ITX systems like gigabytes BRIX computers will be the 2x 3.5" drives.. Though I guess you could do two 2.5" drives..

Maybe run a USB connected HDD enclosure?

What would the max size be, that would be the biggest problem.

Have you looked into a NAS? You can get one with 2 bays for a couple hundred bucks. Seems like something running windows 7 is overkill here.

Have you looked into a NAS? You can get one with 2 bays for a couple hundred bucks. Seems like something running windows 7 is overkill here.

I was getting ahead of myself thinking so. But I figured they would almost like to have a webcam act as a security system givin it was a robery and have that connected to the storage. If it is just the storage that is for backup / files, etc, just get a WD duo and place it somewhere someone wouldn't go or look..

Back