• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[TIP] ODD DRIVES "DIE" FAST?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
well ive had so many ODD drives die so fast (e.g. a few years) and so for a while im like theres no way they have just died i have barely used them... well the other day i was in line at dollar general getting some snacks and sugar free monsters... and there it was right there in the isle. What was it? it was the most amazing thing that ever happened to ODD drives, long since forgotten since back in the cd player boombox days. A cd lense cleaner.

I popped that bad boy in one of the drives that had been acting up most recently listened to the instructions listened to that buzzing noise with it spinning at full speed and the bristles cleaning dat lense... and finally after 10 seconds of cleaning i swapped that disk out for a DVD, Brave to be exact, and it played with no issues what so ever! Normally i would have to eject and put a disk back in two or three times before it decided to half way work.

:popcorn:

41yY-eoaVsL._SY300_.jpg
^ this is the one i have, it has such amazing music.. :rolleyes:
edit: i have a few more drives i wanna try this on and see how it works il update and see how it goes :)

Last edited:
On the same topic.... If you spray pledge on a CD/DVD with a lot of scratches and buff it out in a circular motion it will fill the scratches on the disc and play... I used that trick for years when I rented from blockbuster. Maybe not as big of an issue now with almost everything being digital.

Just thought I would pass it along.

On the same topic.... If you spray pledge on a CD/DVD with a lot of scratches and buff it out in a circular motion it will fill the scratches on the disc and play... I used that trick for years when I rented from blockbuster. Maybe not as big of an issue now with almost everything being digital.

Just thought I would pass it along.

Thanks! I need to try this on a few CD's on Sunday...

just used the cleaner on another drive that hasn't worked in a while worked like a charm just like new, that has saved me like 30 bucks already for a 5 dollar cd :D i have a couple drives at work im gonna take home and try to clean those too.

43951773.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Maxell disk for a couple of years now. It has a tiny brush glued to it. Works like a charm, but it looks like I'll have to buy a new one as this one has seen better days.

A little blast of compressed air along with the cleaning disk and all the optical drives work like new...well most of them anyways, lol.

Attachments

• Maxell.jpg
    Maxell.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 45
lol yea mines ones got the little brushes under it too :)

Beware that a little blast of air means a little, too much air can do bad things to lens's, usually on cheaper drives.

Usually my last resort, I go with the disc with a brush personally.

Back